6.0 questions?

smokeycummins

Ive been looking for another super duty and was wondering how many of you have good luck with your 6.0s, the main problem Ive been reading about is headgaskets, is this a problem on stock trucks? what year trucks are best, 05-07 or is the 04 ok too? once the head gaskets are fixed is that it or is there anything to watch out for on the injection? Ive been told the trans is nice in the 6.0s, I had great luck with my 2000 7.3, which truck is better? what mileage are you seeing? thanks in advance

The later the better with the 6.0's. 03 and 04's had the most issues, but that doesnt mean there aren't good ones out there. Get an oasis report run on the truck you are looking at regardless of the year to see if there were any issues. Headstuds and an egr cooler and valve delete will make these motors alot more reliable. The trannys are great in them!

The last iteration of the trucks came as Job 2 As 06 and 07 models. 03 engines had the power output as 325/560. ICP sensors mounted behind the turbos. Oil rails are the smallest capacity.

2004 moved the icp to the valve cover. Doubled the high pressure oil system and pumped the power output to 325/570 through a cam shaft and piston bowl change. But it brought with it a ton of wire chafes in the process of wire harness changes. It also had reverse planetary failures in the transmissions. And the water pump went from 90mm to 100mm. Also came with a redesigned oil drain from the turbo to reduce oil coking in the turbo.

2005 brought the new style oil rails with new wave attenuators in them. New high pressure oil pump with snap to connect fitting which was updated later to fix the failure. 2005 Transmissions fixed the 2004 problems. Slight ratio changes. It got rid of the throttle body thing completely. Second generation 05s changed the stand pipes to the oil rails and made the check valves seperate and easily changable. Water pump pulleys were slightly changed to reduce belt chirp issues. Updated IPR and VGT solenoids.

Job2 2006 Brought commonized heads which became the heads for the 6.4L They had a new part number for the head bolts. 2007s had a newer headgasket number than what is in the repair kit. The use all the latest things. Including a new oil feed tube to the turbo that doesn't have a flex section, which was prone to comming apart and clogging the VGT.

Im very impresed with you knowledge of these trucks PSDPlayer, you must have worked on your fair share of trucks. thanks for your help.
if there was a head gasket problem would it most likely of shown up under the first 100,000 miles? Im looking at 05-06 with 50k on them (under warrenty) or there are some sweet deals on 2004s but there basicly almost out of warranty.
How much are we talking to have a dealer fix heads on the 6.0? $3000

2-3 grand is in the ball park. All depends on if the heads can be reused or you have to get new ones.

what causes head gasket failure? bad gaskets, bolts strech, tuners-high heat? I assume you cant just install studs before the gaskets blow, with out takeing her all apart?
also how does the oasis report work? I was planing on taking the truck to a dealer to see if for any reason the warranty would be voided. Thanks

Honestly, theres no real reason to when or why the 6.0l has problems.. I have a Stock '06 that has had issues since i drove it off the lot.. Head gaskets, Oil Cooler, EGR Coolers, EGR Valves, Turbos, Heads, Thermostats, Front Cover, It even blew up at 34K miles.. And yet my brother bought one a week after me, Chipped it and drove it way harder than i ever did and never had a problem..

An Oasis is simple to do, Just get the VIN # and you can post it on this site (In the Ford Tech Oasis Section) That will tell you where its was serviced, and what was done, and when..

what causes head gasket failure? bad gaskets, bolts strech, tuners-high heat? I assume you cant just install studs before the gaskets blow, with out takeing her all apart?
also how does the oasis report work? I was planing on taking the truck to a dealer to see if for any reason the warranty would be voided. Thanks

I am not sure if its all the time or maybe some techs have a trick but if the head studs get replaced the cab comes off the truck to do this as you cannot get hte heads off without this.

I also have only had injector problems on mine. I have an 03 6.0 and have not had problems. Every manufactureer has there problems. Not every truck will have these issues. Some will right off the lot as stated above and some will be good to go. Its a crap shoot. Just hope for the best. There is no need to run into making these changes. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Im ready to buy a 05-07 6.0, how many stock trucks are having problems?
Im looking a a 05 larait crew 4x4 with 30k on it for 18,500 he says it has a factory new motor, this truck sold for $40k roughly and is basicly new and hes almost giving it away? its not the only one either, what gives?

Resale on these died with diesel at almost 5 dollars a gallon. Dealers don't want them. And auction places sell them cheap.

the ford dealer told me I can buy a factory ford warranty for $2000 that covers 100k 5yr from the time the warranty is bought. He claims it covers motor-trans the same as ford warranty, no deductable. does anyone know about this, would you buy it? He has a 05 4x4 crew larait with 85k on it for $17,900, too high of miles??? thanks for all the help

I got a 7yr 200K mile warranty from Ford for my '06.. It was a 2000 dollar deal, but Ford gave it too me cause of all my '06's issues

Aftermarket warranties suck. PremiumCare from Ford is the only way to go. No Questions. No Bull****. No Problems. Its treated better than bumper to bumper because they actually cover trim items.

PSDPlayer scince you know so much about these trucks do you mind filling me in on how the ford premiumcare works? I assume it only covers the person who bought the warranty, covers motor and trans, adds 3 years and 100k to the warranty? how much does ford charge, any idea? do you have to buy the used truck from ford? can some one who bought a truck brand new come back at 90k and add the warranty? thanks for shareing your knowledge with idiots that dont know whats going on.

How the ford warrenty works is that the warrenty starts from the time the very first owner purchases the new vehicle(3yr 36K bumper to bumper, 5yr 100K engine). When a second owner takes ownership of the vehicle the warrently is still in affect up to those years and miles. When a new owner of the vehicle takes ownership the warrenty doesn't start over, it justs gets carried over. Say if the originall owner only puts 20K miles on the truck in two years and sells it, then the next owner only has a 1yr 16K mile bumper to bumper warrenty, and a 3 yr 80K warrenty on the engine then.

I believe the extended warranty that you are referring to smokey is a Ford Warranty, and I have seen it available for as low as $1400.

Diesel PremiumCare is up in the 4k dollar range. But the dealer pricing is different amongst the dealers. Call your local Ford dealer and have them give you a quote.

I didnt get premium I got the extracare and it was 1400 and that was only for a 36/36. I may have paid a little high but I also bought my truck when they were at an alsmost premum. Non the less its covered bumper to bumper.

Hopefully I can do another extended on it from ford when its up.

Back