6.0 won't start, with a twist

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
I found all of the "no start" threads and tid bits I could on this site and many others (I can't believe how many there are). This truck won't even try to fire UNLESS, it's 80+ degrees outside. Then she fires up no problem and runs fine. The first time I hooked up the AE. There were a number of codes. FICM was one of them, but it was replaced about 6 weeks ago, same with the glow plugs. Both cam shaft and crank shaft circuit said "open." But who knows how long all of these codes were in there. All of my attempts were with the block heater plugged in (which is definitely working). ICP reads 850-880 when cranking, RPM is 150-200, fuel pressure is just below 100, FICM reads 48.5 volts. Everything seems to check fine. When I cleared the codes and tried cranking on it again. No codes came up. I was told to run a test on the injectors, so I ran the "buzz" test." It came back saying the test failed, that it was "in the wrong state." When I went back and checked all of the codes. I now had injectors 1-8 saying circuit low. :bang

Anyone have any ideas as to why it won't run the test? Or even better, what these symptoms seem to point to..

Almost sounds more electrical than oil related. But I could be wrong. Check your ficm connections and main computer connections. Check for rubs along the harnesses also.

Hopefully some one else smarter than me chimes in. Have you tried posting on PSN yet?

I'm not a Ford guy so I haven't ever signed up on PSN.. Somehow since I help all of my friends on their Dodge diesels, I was recruited for another friends Ford :badidea:.

The batteries crank the engine over fine. But he knows they need to be replaced. Could that be causing any problems? That happened with a 7.3 I know of, even though it was cranking over fine. Not sure where to look with wiring since everything seems to check out fine. I can't really see any rubbing anywhere. Didn't check all of the connections though. It's certainly not easy to do..

Symptoms point to it being a p.o.s 6.0.... I would try PSN there are some really knowledgeable guys on there.

Check the voltage on the batteries. If it is to low it will just turn over, but never fire.

X2 on the batteries. Low batteries cause wierd s#$t to happen bacause of the computers!!!

Generally when all 8 injector codes come up its not the injectors, its usually the ficm. What is supply voltage to the ficm? And does output voltage from the ficm always stay above 48v while cranking?

Check your grounds. Esp. the strap from the engine.

Generally when all 8 injector codes come up its not the injectors, its usually the ficm. What is supply voltage to the ficm? And does output voltage from the ficm always stay above 48v while cranking?

voltage is 48.5 with the key on and drops to 40 while cranking.

I'll tell him to get new batteries just because he should have them anyways.

If it doesn't stay above 48v it will never fire. But make sure your batteries are good first. If the batteries are good throw a ficm in it, which is what i'm betting it is anyways. But when you do the ficm it will need programmed by someone with an IDS since they come blank.

I told him to replace the batteries before I go back down there.. If that doesn't cure it, I'll check all of the grounds. Then I'll break the news to him that he needs another FICM after the other one going dead in 4 weeks :doh:

Thanks guys

Edit: anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't run the injector test because it was "in the wrong state?"

is the FICM Insync? check your injecor wiring up to the FICM and make sure it isn't chaffed.

i would replace thr batteries and it needs a FICM. if it ever drops below 45 volts it needs to be replaced. ive seen some start with voltage as low as 22 volts and some wont even start with 40 volts. thats where i would start anyways. hope you get it fixed! let us know!