6.0L Broken question/comments

0360army

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my 6.0. I suppose its my own fault for running 38lbs on stock head bolts and hot lapping it at the track. My heads were straight but I basically melted everything under the hood. I just finished rebuiilding the tope end and am about 7K deep into the project but have built it with arp headstuds and new harnesses. When I got it back it wasn't getting oil pressure and after some further invectigation we found pieces of the piston in the oil pan. I am now going to have to rebuild the lower end. Nem cam, pistons, rings and bearings, and possibly bore it out to a 6.4. Anyone have ideas for a good set of pistons? ANy experience with boring these things out? I am trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just get a junkyard engine and start over? cheapest option, comments are appreciated. Thanks.:woohoo:

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my 6.0. I suppose its my own fault for running 38lbs on stock head bolts and hot lapping it at the track. My heads were straight but I basically melted everything under the hood. I just finished rebuiilding the tope end and am about 7K deep into the project but have built it with arp headstuds and new harnesses. When I got it back it wasn't getting oil pressure and after some further invectigation we found pieces of the piston in the oil pan. I am now going to have to rebuild the lower end. Nem cam, pistons, rings and bearings, and possibly bore it out to a 6.4. Anyone have ideas for a good set of pistons? ANy experience with boring these things out? I am trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just get a junkyard engine and start over? cheapest option, comments are appreciated. Thanks.:woohoo:

Cheapest route would be to get a junkyard engine.

The largest pistons available are 40 over from Mahle. 6.4's won't work, wrist pins are too big in the 6.4. I would go junkyard engine. I have pretty much everything you need in my garage sans block for your lower end. PM me if your interested, and I'll see what I have for you. If your gonna do the rebuild, go very mild on the cam, and reduce your compression height on the pistons.

I just rebuilt 20 over, with mahles. I am very happy with the results. Still breaking it in right now tho. Mine is a 6.1 now.

Hey Guys,

I'm rebuilding mine now too, but I'm not looking for an all-out build either. Am I going to need 7k to just rebuild my head??? I havent melted anything except some rings:bang:bang I dont plan on changing the cam...

What have you noticed that is a difference? How many miles on a rebuild break in?

I drove it 210 miles and it only burnt a quarter tank of fuel stock. Right now i have about 240 miles on the engine since it was fired. I noticed it has some more spunk at the bottom end, also seems to accelerate a little faster. It has the most power i think it has had since i got it. It sounds a little bit different at a idle. Other than that, i haven't noticed much.

I'm rebuilding mine now too, but I'm not looking for an all-out build either. Am I going to need 7k to just rebuild my head??? I havent melted anything except some rings:bang:bang I dont plan on changing the cam...

I rebuilt mine got all new pistons, bored the block, all new bearings (including cam bearings). Reused my studs, resealed everything. Also got the heads checked, and had them take a little off to make sure, all the seats vacuum tested, magna fluxed for cracks. The engine and heads cooked and cleaned. New lpop gears, and I rebuilt it myself for a lot less then 7k. Sanded and painted the engine to boot, and i ported the exhaust manifolds and ported and polished the intake myself. I wished that i would of had the heads ported and polished.

Back