6.5 Camaro need help with HE351ve

Rafedial1

Diesel Camaro
been here awhile, never posted.

I am working on a he351ve vgt turbo setup in my 94 Camaro and having some issues controlling the boost. I can't go any further than 15 psi due to the high compression and other weak areas of the 6.5 IDI diesel. I tried a mech actuator to control the vane collar, but I have some binding issues.

right now I can't go past half throttle without the boost quickly rising over 18
where did I go wrong?
this may help...I can't take credit for the design, the concept came from a member here 12valve, but his is much nicer and works.
DSC03261.jpg

Last edited:
forgot some details. the actuator I have is supposed to crack at 7psi and full open by 10 psi, but I cant confirm it is even moving more than 1/4in.

also, the exhaust brake area/mode is not being used.

i have an external 40mm wastegate to weld in, but I am trying to avoid using it.
here's a better picture of what I am working with...
DSC03278.jpg

12valve, if you see this. did you have any issues with binding? right now the arm attaches with a bolt, some washers and double nut with room in between to move. do i need more length on the arm for more advantage?

check out his u tube videos of it in action... use a softer spring in actuator...especially if it came off a diesel truck.. check actuator with compressed air regulated down. and maybe less length on the arm to get more motion out of vanes

i'm guessing it's staying closed too much. you'll probably have to redesign the system a little bit to open up to only 15psi. i would assume that the housing would have to be fully opened.. or close to it even though it's on a 6.5.

mine doesn't open until 20 psi

check out his u tube videos of it in action... use a softer spring in actuator...especially if it came off a diesel truck.. check actuator with compressed air regulated down. and maybe less length on the arm to get more motion out of vanes
yep, I saw the vids. I am using a softer spring 'gate, advertised cracking at 7psi, and fully open at 10 psi. a regulator would work to confirm its movement at those specific pressures while on the car, gonna try that tonight. thanks

i'm guessing it's staying closed too much. you'll probably have to redesign the system a little bit to open up to only 15psi. i would assume that the housing would have to be fully opened.. or close to it even though it's on a 6.5.

mine doesn't open until 20 psi
yep, it is staying closed all the time. not good. makes for quick spool, but it's killin me not being able to go WOT. someday I'll be able to run 20 psi, damn IDI 6.5s give me a headache.

Whats stopping th vanes from opening all th way?
To me it looks like you should make a piece for th bottom with two nuts welded to it, so you can screw a bolt in there with a locknut. To adjust how far it opens.. And to set how far it closes. Once done you can shorten the rod on the wastegate actuator to open at higher psi if that's what you want. Or simply shim the bottom of the head of the actuator. Just bring it higher.

My truck made around 22 psi with it all th way open... I'm around 300 hp maybe..

What's bending? The vanes sticking? If so you might have to clean them.
I can tell you how to take it apart. I know mine was sticking till I cleaned it.