6.5 Turbos

RobertDuval

After some searching i have found almost nothing for aftermarket turbos for the 6.5's. does anyone know of any companies that make upgraded impellers or cartdriges for them? I found one company that could make me a set but the price was astronomical and the pitches would have been a shot in the dark.

Ron Schoolcraft offers the best turbo for the 6.5L. Have a look here.

Over at DieselTowingResource, a few guys created the "A-Team Turbo." It's a modified Mitsubishi TD07-22A, which also works well with the 6.5L.

Another possibility would be to adapt a Holset HX35 off a Cummins.

As for the stock GM turbo, there's nothing worthwhile to be done with them.

thanks that saves me a whole lot of work. the inside of the factory turbo can be opened up for better air flow but that wouldn't do much with out the correct impellers to go with it.

Ok found a HX-35 turbo, it's on it's way. what has to be adapted to make it work??? I'm assuming the turbo to exhaust and manifold??

The Holset should bolt right onto the exhaust manifold. You will need to modify the exhaust downpipe, however. You will also need to get an adapter fitting for the oil feed line. If you haven't upgraded to a larger exhaust system than stock, I'd advise you address that as well. 3.5" is ideal for most 6.5L engines, stepping up to 4" may or may not make a difference in performance/EGT's, but will change the exhaust sound.

DieselPlace has a few members running HX35's and HY35's on their 6.5L's, with pics available if you register over there.

Back