6.7 bottom end with 5.9 head?

EPA Violator

CR Wrencher
For those of you who have done a 6.7 bottom end with a 5.9 head what head gasket did you use? What did you do about the passages in between the cylinders in the block not having mating passages in the head??
Thx jay

Contact Fleece if you don't get any resolve here.. they've done a few

I don't see any advantage to running a 5.9 head unless you have one already setup?

Head gasket question

I am running a 6.7 bottom end with a 5.9 head. Reason depends on your setup but I have a 05 truck wih 5.9 electronic's and if your not running a standalone cant drive 6.7 injectors so my setup is using large F1 injectors with 03-04 555 spray pattern. The head gasket is a Hailsley MLS type but fire ring kit with the rings in the head only. Works good so far up to 80psi of boost. You basily covering the steam holes in the block with the gasket with no known issues so far many are doing it. You can also add the holes to your 5.9 head I heard never done that. I plan on one day going full 6.7 head and injectors with a standalone once they get the bugs out of the 5.9 Zuess. Make sure you use good head studs H-11's or 625's if you plan on making any boost. It sure is a fun setup.

I also used the haisley fire ring kit. havent had a problem yet and run arp 2000's

Make sure you use good head studs H-11's or 625's if you plan on making any boost. It sure is a fun setup.

I hear 6.7's have a lot if issues holding a MLS gasket at high boost with just studs....
How come a 5.9 with just studs and a MLS gasket hold fine?

I hear 6.7's have a lot if issues holding a MLS gasket at high boost with just studs....

If you are speaking of a 5.9 only I believe the 6.7 has much higher cylinder pressures than the 5.9 and thats why the gaskets are having issues. I have no experience with the 6.7 head yet but my 5.9 head has fire rings and torqued to 160ft pounds with 3 cold retorques within 400 miles of install just to insure with each time many out of spec until the last torque they where all pretty close. Frequent boost levels of 80lbs + on a warm engine.

5.9 =Less cylinder pressure, 6.7 bigger bore = more air on the same style gasket so more of them go bad$.02

Last edited: