6.7 cummins injector question...

weazel

5th gear killer
cruzing home tonight, we noticed a sound that sounds kind of like an injector going bad or something. it sounded like a "ticking" sound. i could get the sound to happen from 1500-2000 rpms. before 1500, you couldnt hear it, and after 2000, it would go away.. it was a constant sound also, and wouldnt speed up or slow down as rpms varied.. any idea what it could be? im running the 14me software on my smarty, set on sw9. egr deleted, and dpf deleted. also have a SB 3250 dual disc for a clutch..

Not 100% sure , with out hearing it but could it be timing rattle? Was the truck towing? Just driving?

to me, doesnt sound like injector issue... sure you don't have a harmonic vibration of somesort, maybe your exhaust knocking on something?

this sound happens while im driving normal. i havent towed with it yet.. i double checked the exhaust, and nothing happening arouond there.. the sound is coming from the front of the truck mainly. i may take the smarty down to SW8 and see if that helps, if it is timing rattle.. thanks for the input guys, any more ideas, keep them coming!

Turn Smarty down as far as u can and see what happens then to see if it goes away or not. if its still there could be timing noise or valve train maybe. if goes away when u turn box down u know for sure its timing noise. hard to say without hearing it

I think the 14me is VERY aggressive on the timing, much more aggressive than the newer software updates. Definately turn it down or POD it down while driving and see what happens.

Good luck.

-Frog

im running the timing on default, and RP on mild..

i had taken the truck into the stealership to have some other stuff looked at, and had them check the injectors while it was there. they called and said they were fine (thank goodness! LOL). it may not help much, but i asked if they would reset the lash on my valves, cuz im getting lazy and dont want to do that myself LOL..

are any of yall running the newer smarty software? ive been thinking of updating mine to the newer software so the timing wont be so aggressive..

got the truck back from the stealership. injectors were fine. found that the valve lash was wayyyy off on all the valves, said it took a 1/4 turn to get them close to where they are supposed to be.. i thought this thing was quiet before, but holy cow its really quiet now!

i think the valve lash being off so bad is what the problem was. you really have to listen to hear anything now. but just to get it done, im going to update the software to the newer stuff on my smarty.

good to hear! i've got a barring tool on the way so i can do my valves

I am running a jr with 21me and its pretty good, Im sure there are newer updates now. But 14me has way more aggressive timing than new 20me -current as I am told.

ok cool.. i was able to update mine to the 21ME software this evening. stuck it in the truck, and will try it out tomorrow and see how it runs!