6.7 Marine Engines?

SPEAKSUP

Just a small question. Now I know that the Marine 5.9 Cr's appeared to have a thicker and stronger block and bigger dampner. Is the same said about the 6.7? I asked for bigger pictures. To so if it has that big dampner and asked if the block's where thicker then a normal truck application.

Found a couple a 6.7 Marines so was just wondering?

Are they actual marine 6.7's?

Big white paint with al the connections. Turbo is mounted backwards well from a truck stand point it is. one has that big housing at the end. The other one has the Gear Rudcution box still in the pitures.

Injection pump on the rear? if so it;s a true marine engine

They are way better that the truck engines, appox .350 thicker in every area you can measure, not sure on the material though. damper should be close to the same size wise.

Injection pump on the rear? if so it;s a true marine engine

They are way better that the truck engines, appox .350 thicker in every area you can measure, not sure on the material though. damper should be close to the same size wise.

Are you sure about that? I had a rear drive engine and the block casting number was the same as the one used in the dodge trucks. If this was the case why are most shops punching out 5.9's for 6.7 builds instead of using the 6.7 marine engines?

Are you sure about that? I had a rear drive engine and the block casting number was the same as the one used in the dodge trucks. If this was the case why are most shops punching out 5.9's for 6.7 builds instead of using the 6.7 marine engines?

i could be wrong, but the marine engines i have seen were all like that.
reason most mod the 5.9 is because a 5.9 truck block is sooo much easyer to get than a marine block

i could be wrong, but the marine engines i have seen were all like that.
reason most mod the 5.9 is because a 5.9 truck block is sooo much easyer to get than a marine block

The one I had wasn't a marine, but it was a rear drive 6.7. So maybe the marines are different. I know there are some high strength 6.7 marine blocks that are military use only. They were compacted graphite IIRC.

Guy's are punching out 5.9's to 6.7s? What are they getting the Crank and Piston's from Cummins wonder if it would be cheaper? I mean don't really come across just a crank and piston's for sale.

Guy's are punching out 5.9's to 6.7s? What are they getting the Crank and Piston's from Cummins wonder if it would be cheaper? I mean don't really come across just a crank and piston's for sale.

maybe i missed that but you would HAVE to fill the block or both use sleeves to run a 6.7 piston in a 5.9.

it will not happen other wise, IF you want to make any power and stay together....

6.7's have a 4.210 bore stock 5.9 has a 4.020 thats .190 diference, also IIRC the 6.7 has a taller deck because of the much longer stroke used. the diff in stroke is 4.720- 4.880 or 0.160 thou

Last edited:
Not just the marine engines are rear gear train. In fact almost all the 6.7L made with the exception of the Chrysler product are rear gear train. All your bus engines, Freightliner M2, Kenworth T-300 (I think), and whatever Peterbilt 3 something that uses the 6.7L

Can you put a 6.7 head on a 5.9 block?
Are the head stud and push rod location the same?
What are the differences in valve sizes?

I talked to Scott "monster rig" about his rebuild he got a Marine block. For the build it was overall thicker and had a bigger dampner.

I didn't think about the sleeves I know theres a puller running 6.7 pistons in a 5.9 didn't even think about having to fill and sleeve.

The valves are the same size in the 6.7 and the 5.9.
As a matter of fact, they are the same valve.

Back