6 speed G56 noisy

dangerous06

diesel tech
I know they are noisy but mine is ridiculous have it traced to the input shaft bearing. But can't find it available also is thee a race in the front cover or is it one piece? Was hoping to get the parts together before I take it out AGAIN!
I just got this truck not my daily driver just a spare. It's an 05 4 door 2x4 dually. For sale cheap with a new engine 300 miles on it!

ok so no one here has G56 experience? Damn sorry for the cheap stab at selling it!

I have G56 experience as I have rebuilt mine about 30k miles ago.

There is an input shaft bearing that is pressed into the front case. IIRC, that was the only bearing that I got from the local Dodge dealer. There is also a metal washer/ collector that you will probably destroy getting the input shaft bearing race out. I have all of the part numbers listed at home. I will post up with them tomorrow morning.

I have G56 experience as I have rebuilt mine about 30k miles ago.

There is an input shaft bearing that is pressed into the front case. IIRC, that was the only bearing that I got from the local Dodge dealer. There is also a metal washer/ collector that you will probably destroy getting the input shaft bearing race out. I have all of the part numbers listed at home. I will post up with them tomorrow morning.

Thank you!

You cannot order 2 of the bearings in there by application . I had to measure them then order by size from a bearing company

Also g56 are bad for case twist . If you rebearing it and they go out again you'll have to buy another trans ,had this happen twice on customer trucks, both stock but heavy haulers

I just picked up a 2007 with a 6.7, G56 and the front input bearing apparently is bad.
It howls like a banshee at idle in nuetral with the clutch out, and seeps fluid into the bell, so I suspect the input bearing is fubared.

IIRC, there are 2 different O/D ratio G56s, one for the 2005-2007 5.9 and one for the 2007-1/2 through 2012 (?) 6.7s.
I'm also under the impression that the only difference between 2WD and 4WD is the bolt on drive shaft flange for the 2wds.

This one howls so bad at idle, that I thought it was the power steering pump pushing air, or that someone had put a small block chevy with a "noisy" gear drive under the hood.

Mark.

I know they are noisy but mine is ridiculous have it traced to the input shaft bearing. But can't find it available also is thee a race in the front cover or is it one piece? Was hoping to get the parts together before I take it out AGAIN!
I just got this truck not my daily driver just a spare. It's an 05 4 door 2x4 dually. For sale cheap with a new engine 300 miles on it!

OK, I had to dig through my receipts and notes. And unfortunately my memory sucks. But I do have pictures...

So, from my notes, I did not buy the input shaft bearing from Chrysler. I bought it, main shaft rear and both countershaft bearings from Applied Technologies. I got this from my notes, I am looking for the receipt to get you the P/N.

IIRC, with the front case sitting on the floor with the front on the floor, the assembly order is:
1. Preload shims (I used the ones that came out as preload was perfect when reassembled).
2. Washer, Chrysler P/N 5170313AA (I can forward a pic of this if you'd like)
3. Bearing Race
4. Bearing

The input shaft seal that you will need is P/N 5179736AA.

OK, finally found my receipt from the bearing purchase. I bought the input shaft bearing, main shaft rear and both countershaft bearings from Applied Technologies as mentioned above. The bearings for the front and rear of the countershaft are the same bearing (so I bought two of the same bearing).

Unfortunately I didn't write down which bearing was which... The input shaft bearing is either TIMK 30307M90KM1 or TIMK 32208M90KM1. Whichever it is not is the bearing for main shaft rear. One bearing was about $47 and the other was about $35. You could just buy both and then return the one not used... At this point I wish I would've taken better notes... Hope anything that I provided is remotely useful.

Back