600-700hp

hey you want to come up to Beresford and help me with some tuning on my truck?

i think it could be possible with a 180 pump with the right amount of rack travel, injectors, dv's, and rpms along with some good air I think it could be very possible.

Lance

yepperoonie.

No one ever give much credit to the 180 pump and smaller. People are always like .... GET a 215 pump to get some real power.
I totally disagree with that. You do

you do NOT need a 215 pump to make serious power.

It can actually be done with a 160 pump if you know what you are doing.

Lance

Smokem said:
What are you interested in doing?

Trying to squeeze more hp from my setup. It smokes a ton preboost. I suppose I should tighten up the starwheel a bit...

wildmanben, hey man, fill out your sig. so we know what ya got.

By tightening the star wheel, yes you will get less low end smoke but, the power will be the same.

I am actually running with a gutted afc. The only reason for that is so that i can get FULL RACK TRAVEL when i mash the peddle to the floor. I dont want the afc arm holding me back.
But, the smoke is horrible untill the 64/14 lights up. Then you better be holdin on.
But, for someone that does not have any kind of rack travel mod, then you can have your starwheel wherever you want it and still make the same power.

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
By tightening the star wheel, yes you will get less low end smoke but, the power will be the same.

Lance

Not always though, you can run into a situation called "coil-bind" if you have the starwheel too tight.
This will stop rack travel from going all the way forward.

oldsmokey97 said:
wildmanben, hey man, fill out your sig. so we know what ya got.

Lance

Hey look at my first post in this thread....:kick: Just kidding. Oh I did change the timing to 22 degrees though.

I am trying not to fog the world out when I take of so thats why the AFC arm is still in place. I have the spring kit though and adjusted a bit tighter, The turbo will light at about 1700 and spin the tires. I am thinking that I will get some Laser Cut DVs here soon to help as I am cleaning the fuel up pretty good right now. Just looking to get 600hp out of my setup if possible. The pump has to come off here soon to fix an oil leak, so I am thinking of sending it to Industrial Injection and having them go through it and turn the barrell up a bit. Anything else that I can do?

I did cut a DV today myself! from a noneworking barrel.
next im gonna pull a set out of a none working Ppump, and cut them myself!
after you said that, maybe i'm gonna make only half cuts!

what machine work do you do with the DV holders?

and how can you turn up the barrels at a machine shop? i have one near me, just to tell em what to do, thay aint got a big clue!

so please tell me what all can be done on the pump without switching P&B / cam?
(Ok i know bout the rack travel, plate gsk, and all that!)

Smokem said:
The delivery valve holders internal "button" may be enlarged by EDMing them to a specific size. Gaining rack travel from adjusting the fuel flow of the barrels will require a pump stand to balance the flow of each plunger-barrel assembly.

can you explain that about the internal "button" a little more, i know the basics of a DV, cut my own DV, but dont know what to do with the HOLDER,

could you be a little bit more specific?

and yeah i know barrels have to be turned on the flow bench, my friend has one, and we'll tune it together.
Which way should we turn them? and how much of a dif will it make?

another question, how can i measure max CC's?
At what rpm does the flow bench have to turn?
(around 1000 rpm? (which would be 2000 rpm for the engine)

And how many cycles at the pump, to know the CC's?

we once tested a 175 and it made 32 cc's in 100 turns

Last edited:
wildmanben,
The pump will be a great start, but while its off install a MACK plug then turn that rascal up.:bow:
Don't attempt anything till the rest of the drive train is in top shape. & guages are on the truck.*bdh*

WAYNES WORLD