62/68 or 63/68??

darkkevin

Looking to replace my hx35 that's spinning it's little heart out, local guy selling both a FLEECE cheetah billet 62/68-.9 and an ED billet 63/68/14 for a decent price. Not terribly familiar with fleece, I'm running a 97 3500 4x4 and will be adding 5x14's when turbo gets replaced, and bumping timing. This is a DD, never tow anything too heavy, just a fun truck. He says the fleece will spool incredibly fast on a 12 valve with injectors, both are t3 flange and both are gated. What say you comp d?

Last edited:
Should add, head studs going in when work is done too. What do you figure max boost is/should be on either turbo?

I'm running a 63/68/14 from stainless diesel on my 96, I was running an htt 62/65/13 before.

I'm at stock timing and the 62/65 spooled amazingly quick and was a great turbo, I was running 47 lbs with ddp 3s, 70cc 7mm dvs, 4k gsk and no plate.

With the 63/68, spool up was a little slower but still fairly quick. I'm now running 55lbs with it. I can drive all day without seeing any smoke.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I doubt there will be much of a difference.

Obviously you didnt read Diesel Power Mags turbo test. E.D's 63/68/14 spanked everyones ass. Ill garuantee there will be a difference. But the real comparison is look at a box 62 compressor map and a box 63 compressor map. The 63 out does the 62 by a LOOONG shot. And spool up isn't much different between the two.

OP: To add to this, Diesel Power Mags turbo test had the two turbos your wanting to get in thier test. Granted it was on a CR but still has some good results.

Obviously you didnt read Diesel Power Mags turbo test. E.D's 63/68/14 spanked everyones ass. Ill garuantee there will be a difference. But the real comparison is look at a box 62 compressor map and a box 63 compressor map. The 63 out does the 62 by a LOOONG shot. And spool up isn't much different between the two.

OP: To add to this, Diesel Power Mags turbo test had the two turbos your wanting to get in thier test. Granted it was on a CR but still has some good results.

I'd like to see that map.

Well, you're right.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/files/pdf/BWTS_2014_Performance_Turbo_Catalog.pdf

page #41 is box 63 compressor map (177283)

Last edited:
I believe its slightly smaller than 62, like 61.xx either way it has similar flow as the 63 but supports a much better pressure ratio, making it the ideal single of the two. The 63 works great in twins because it has a nice fat lower pressure ratio. In all honesty both will do everything you want. The 14cm housing is usually a .8 housing for s300 framed chargers and will make up for any differences in spool unless the fleece is actually a 9cm housing.

Makes more sense, for some reason I thought the FMW 62 was smaller than 61mm. But I agree with the PR on the FMWs versus the cast wheels. And Im pretty sure the Fleece charger he was talking about is the 9cm like you said.

I'd definitely skip the Fleece if it's a 9cm housing. That's tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe its slightly smaller than 62, like 61.xx either way it has similar flow as the 63 but supports a much better pressure ratio, making it the ideal single of the two. The 63 works great in twins because it has a nice fat lower pressure ratio. In all honesty both will do everything you want. The 14cm housing is usually a .8 housing for s300 framed chargers and will make up for any differences in spool unless the fleece is actually a 9cm housing.

Are you guys having good luck with the 62 fmw? I recently heard they have been coming apart...any truth to that?

Are you guys having good luck with the 62 fmw? I recently heard they have been coming apart...any truth to that?

I personly have a 63 not a 62, but I haven't heard about the 62's coming apart. Granted this doesn't mean they are not LOL just that I don't know tons of people running them.

went with the ED 63/68. Waiting on my ducky 5x14 sac's and arp headbolts to come in now, hopefully bolt everything together next weekend. planning on putting timing about 18.5 too.

your gonna have fun... i loved my 63/68... although it had a .85 T3 on it