64/71/.83 problems

andyb3500

95 12 valve
its brand new maybe 2000 miles what would cause the rear seal to go out in the turbo i caught it before it scrubbed the housing but man its irritating. im gonna have it rebuilt this week hopefully it had its fair share of 50 psi runs and it been barked only a handfull of time sometimes its a hard bark and sometime its a soft quiet one would tht cause it? thanks for any info you guys give me

The real seal is bad and you caught it before it scrubbed the housings?

There is a ring seal at the back of the turbine shaft that seals but even if it wasn't present you wouldn't see an increase in shaft play. Its basically a piston ring that fits inside a machined "cylinder" for lack of a better description. A regular type seal would never stand up to turbine side heat exposure. If you have a bushing out that will cause some play and the causes could vary a great deal. A kinked oil feed line or some other weak supply, debris in the turbo, clogged drain, etc...

I'd suggest you try and diagnose the problem and the cause of the problem before you wipe it out again.

Last edited:
it has a afe stage two filter which i just cleaned about 2 weeks ago the oil drain is open from all debris and the feed line isnt kinked im guessing bad balance. or just a bad seal(ring) thrust washer whatever. its all getting taken care of friday thanks for all the help guys

ive ran turbos with chunks of the wheels missing and not blow seals or anything.

I highly doubt its a balancing issue.

man i have no clue what it would be i have no clue what caused it but i pulled it and its for sure the rear seal thts bad there is oil everywhere

ive ran turbos with chunks of the wheels missing and not blow seals or anything.

I highly doubt its a balancing issue.

Same here...I've even drilled a comp wheel out with a cordless drill :badidea: to put a wildcat turbo together...ran it hard for a few weeks before the bearings were shot and it didn't leak oil...poor thing. :hehe:

Maybe the ring groove or "cylinder" was slightly out of spec but was assembled and shipped anyway.
Mine gets 24 shots of clean motor oil into the oil inlet with a pump oil can when I install one on my motor.