66mm vp guys chime in here

bling

what stall are u guys running and how do u feel about spool up with it. i know fuel setups play a factor and all will be different but i assume u have enough fuel for that turbo if u are running it so just let me know what ur tc stall speed is if u know.

Mine stalls at about 800RPM when I let out on the clutch.....

Sorry cant help you much!! It is definitely easier to run larger turbos on manual trucks though, you right foot becomes the AFC

Mine is set at 1600 stall with 35" tires and 3.55 gears. Its laggy down low and since i only cruise down the highway at 1750 rpms at 70 mph i am not on top of the charger enough to get good mileage. Also mine is ppumped and i have more than enough fuel. If you street race a lot it would be a fun turbo it lights at about 2000 rpm.

Where do you live at? Altitude will play a big part in it. I loved mine. I had it with DTT's 89 tq and with their super single, stock stall. I also run a F1 Stg 2 cam that helps with spool up. I live at in Indiana with about 500' alt and when i visited my mother in New Mexico (Alamagordo) it hated to lite. Guessing 2400' +. I could tell a difference once i hit the west side of Dallas Ft Worth.

Mine worked well at 1300 stall but I had a .90 AR and I'm at sea level in Fl

Mine worked well at 1300 stall but I had a .90 AR and I'm at sea level in Fl

im at sea level in virginia. been trying some different ways to get good spool up and i still feel my converter could be tighter to load the truck. im trying different exhaust housings and playing with tuning but i just wannted some opinions

Try tightening up your intake valve lash. I'm running .008" and noticed about 100rpm quicker spoolup vs. .010" on the stock cam. Keep the exhaust side at least .018", anything less actually hurt spool on my truck. Can't explain why less overall lift on the exhaust would hurt spoolup, but it did!!!

looser is going to be better on the converter... low RPM load isn't going to do anything but make smoke. you need RPM to get on the turbo.

looser is going to be better on the converter... low RPM load isn't going to do anything but make smoke. you need RPM to get on the turbo.

my first converter was very loose (v10 stall). it was too loose. it wouldnt actually get the turbo to build boost. it would just free rev like it was in nuetral. then when the converter locked it blacked out the road and snuffed the charger out. we went to a tighter converter and it put load on the truck and helped a lot but i almost feel i could go even tighter. its strange. its a precision 67mm charger. currently running a .68 housing. boost and drive pressure are nearly one to one. the best way to describe what happens is like reving a fourwheeler in fourth gear at a dead stop and dumping the clutch. it just boggs out. going to a tighter converter helped out a lot. the truck runs much better. boost comes up much easier. but i still feel it could be tighter to really bring the charger up harder.. i orderded a .58 housing. im gonna try that out and see how the truck acts.

A 1800-1900 rpm stall is what we've found best for daily driving a 66/74/14 with 250hp injectors and drag comp. 1600 was too laggy and 2100 spooled really fast but 60' times suffered enough to lose .2-.3 tenths at the drag strip.

Lavon

im runing a 1800 stall ddt single disc and a 66-71-14 6x.016 and a drag comp geting reddy to pull the trans and buy a triple disc and a billit input and freshin it up i have not clue what brand of converter im going to buy yet but i do like the stall this converter is that i have now it seems to be pretty easy to launch

thanks for the info guys ill try the valve lash idea and go from there

Back