6BT air compressor

C111

Banned
I'm working on a trolley thats powered by a 12valve 6BT generator. They want to add an air compressor to the engine to eliminate the dying 1940's 600volt motor driven compressor. The air system just operates the brakes and an air horn.

There is only a blockoff plate where the PS pump would be on the pickup and the oil fill tube is on the lower middle of the block. Is there any suggestion as to which compressor could be bought from Cummins? Air cooled would be preferable for simplicity but water cooled isn't bad either. Do they have an internal unloader or will I need a purge valve equipped dryer? The air system is only 85psi with a 30 gallon reservoir, the engine is governed at 1600rpm. The line is about 1 mile with 2 stops in between, ~20 hours per week running weekends and football games.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a holset compressor with an external governor. It is fully adjustable and I even have an air dryer from the same truck. The compressor gets oil from the same T as the vacuum pumps in dodges and it bolts to the gear housing where the vacuum pump does. I even have the PS pump that bolts on the back of it. This compressor is water cooled as well. Let me know if you'd be interested in it.

I have no problem buying used, but the trolley committee wants it bought from the dealer because they have to use the organization's credit card. Accounting, taxes and all that fun stuff. :nail:

Just use the ac compressor. Just put a oiler inline and set the clutch on a hobbs switch to desired 85psi.

What bore/bore/stroke/RPM is the existing compressor on the trolley? That's a good place to start when figuring a replacement.

I have several different sizes of water cooled Bendix compressors available. I can even supply formed stainless lines and fitting kits for mounting them.