6NZ to 12 pete 379 adapter

cumisx475

My dads friend is planning on buying a 379 glider from pete, and putting in a 6NZ. I guess he needs a adaptor from the engine to truck computers. Apparently it is a 90 to 120 pin connection. Does anyone know where he could get one so I can pass the info along?

Pittsburg power will have all the answers you need they specialize in gliders and making things fit, and they are a great company to work with. Good luck with the swap.

what he said ^^^^ pittsburg or even pdi can help you out with that one.

Yeah, he's getting most of the stuff from Pittsburgh power. I think it was conversation between him and my dad, and my dad asked me about it.

Dirty dozen said it as well PDI is also a great company, I have owned trucks for 15 years and it is amazing what those 2 companies have done in the heavy truck diesel market.

The last person I talked to that had replaced a new cat with a 6nz did not have to switch or adapt harnesses, while the engine side may be different the truck side was the same I believe, I will talk to a guy that just put a C16 in a 2012 and see what he say. Also you might want to get the model number right, it's 389.

PDI has come leaping by PP in the recent past, PP box is obsolete these days and is hard on engines, with the availability of the ECM tuning it makes it a no brainer to go with PDI, they are building reliable HP. I mean PP still sells a holse reverse ratation turbo as an upgrade for a cat, when there are cheaper and better alternative on the market that work.

Did your dad's friend check with the Pete dealer he is getting the glider through? They should be able to supply the harness he needs. It is probably big $ though.

The big boys as previously mentioned are good options, they have lots of experience. PP and PDI seem to be sort of polarizing, so if you're not into either one of them, here's a couple other places that specialize in gliders.

MAWK INDUSTRIES
Fitzgerald Truck Parts Sales

Last edited:
Pete will supply the harness. Just order the glider to fit a Cat motor and tell them you need the harness. I have a realative that builds approx 1 glider per year for his fleet and the wiring is all plug and play. After the engine is installed and the wiring connected they take the trucks to the Pete dealer and have the dash calibrated for the truck configuration...the new dash units have what looks like typical gauges but they are computerized.

Last edited:
I'm sure he'll get it figured out. I think that it was just conversation and my dad misunderstood him.
He's all pittsburgh power now, because he had the bearings go out in his second engine, and blames PDI.
Also you might want to get the model number right, it's 389.
I knew that. At least I didn't say 359
All this to keep up to my dads deleted and tuned ISX:hehe:

I still think I would rather replace a set of bearings than a set of pistons, but then again I guess their built in safety measurements should keep that from happening, just can't see giving that much more money for a fraction of the useable HP.

I would like to hear more details about why he thinks it was the tuning, I talk to a guy regularly that runs 1100HP+ in his work truck and it is still kicking.

Pete will supply the harness. Just order the glider to fit a Cat motor and tell them you need the harness. I have a realative that builds approx 1 glider per year for his fleet and the wiring is all plug and play. After the engine is installed and the wiring connected they take the trucks to the Pete dealer and have the dash calibrated for the truck configuration...the new dash units have what looks like typical gauges but they are computerized.

Lee is spot on! This is exactly what needs to be done and all plug and play. I just ordered a new W900L with ISX 550 and scared to death of it, I had no luck with an '08 and '09 ISX. I got word today about ordering another heavy haul spec truck for me to drive and really think I'm gonna do a 389 Glider with 6NZ reman and PDI tuning. Wish I had done it on the KW now and it hasn't even hit the road due to rigging it out!

He is one of those guys that always tries to point his finger and try and get some money out of them. His first engine he blamed on Pete selling him too short of air filters and letting it dust out. I think that he got some money out of that, so he tried to blame the tuning on PDI.
All summer he was getting copper in his oil tests and didn't know why. He had Cat put it on the dyno to find the problem, and it didn't make it out.
I wasn't saying that the ISX was any better, because at 160k, my dads laid down. I think it was because it couldn't get enough air. Its a 378 so it has inside air cleaner and with the EGR I think it just burn't up. It's an 06 so no DPF, luckily.
They haul belly dump in the summer and his friend wont step on it, and my dad passes everyone, and the Cat still takes more fuel.

Because they have to pay a carbon credits fine for every truck they sell without an emissions compliant engine.

Interesting, although apparently the fine is not prohibitive enough to keep Peterbilt, Freightliner and others from serving this market. It seems like more of a principal decision at KW. I think they would be very strong in glider sales if they decided to offer that option.

Back