7.3 Cranks but no start...HELP

b5dart70

Ok fellow forum members...here's the scoop.

Currently looking at a 96' 7.3 Box Truck for business use. If we can get it fired it will basically be ours to take.

Problem is like I stated it won't fire. Have changed fuel filters, fuel lines (not braided fuel lines), air cleaner, Cam Shaft position sensor (Because a tech said it could be this) and nothing. Can't seem to figure this one out, no check engine light to pull a code.

The truck has been sitting for two years, have put Diesel 911 and other treatments in order to boost the cetane, but nothing. All it does is crank, crank and crank some more, acting like it wants to start but nothing happens. But get this, truck WILL RUN off ETHER.

Anyhelp will be appreciated...thanks in advance!
Edit/Delete Message

You need an obd 2 scan tool to pull codes out of a 7.3. Since you have tried ether you can eliminate glows. You now need to verify if and what you have for pressure on the high pressure oil system. On my 96 everything checked out, no codes and good pressure. It turned out to be the ecm itself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you cant get it fired do you want to sell it?

As for your question it sounds fuel related if it will only start on either. Did you make shore the bowl is getting fuel before you put the new filter in? Also did you let it run long enough on either to see if the oil pressure goes up? We need more info to help.

Oil.....

Check the oil? Unplug the ICP and try to fire it. If it is too low on oil it wont start. If the oil is too thick it wont fire. IPR nut tight? Too many if's.......

valve cover gaskets possibly burnt up? the valve cover gaskets on those are the wiring harness to injectors and glow plugs.

Check the fuses under the hood. i had something dumb like that happen it cranked and cranked here the ipr fuse was blown.

Back