7.3 in offroad truck?

shawnsack

im looking at a 7.3 out of a 94 for a mud truck project that im building on rockwells and 55" tall tires... my only concern is that it wont make enough power... how hard is it to make power out of these motors? or would it be better off as a boat anchor? i am a newb but im not one out to just blow black smoke and im more firmiliar with cummins than powerstroke... thanks for any help you may have for me

Go with the Cummins. More torque and it will make rpm's faster.

well that would be my ultimate choice... the only reason i was looking at the 7.3 was because of the price

Ya cummins would be your best bang for the buck there!

For the money you put into the stroke to get any type of power your better off gettin a mechanical cummins and building it up and really get power for a lower bottom line.

for a mud truck, you really want rpms. i would feel safer spinning a gas motor way up in the mud. but a 4000 rpm cummins would be really cool.

the 7.3 is a 1000 lb engine.....not good in the mud

well a cummins is a heavy motor also... ill probly end up building a 460 i was just kinda looking for a way to put some black smoke in the air when in the mud but a cummins is a bit out of my price range and both are pretty heavy motors but if anyone else has some ideas ill im all ears

yeah, heavy isnt really what you want in the mud. i think you are best off with a 460 and aluminum heads. keep that weight down, and the rpms up! :)

I had built a mud truck using a Modified '88 F350, Shortened the frame 16", Lifted 5", and had a Built 6.9l w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo.. That thing was sweet.. had plenty of power to spin the 35's i had on it, blew plenty of black.. Never got it into the mud much cause i ran into fueling issues.. but I say do it, be out of the ordinary.. thats how new cool things get noticed and become popular..

I had built a mud truck using a Modified '88 F350, Shortened the frame 16", Lifted 5", and had a Built 6.9l w/Banks Sidewinder Turbo.. That thing was sweet.. had plenty of power to spin the 35's i had on it, blew plenty of black.. Never got it into the mud much cause i ran into fueling issues.. but I say do it, be out of the ordinary.. thats how new cool things get noticed and become popular..

what kind of issues u run into with the 6.9... i got a line on one of those i bet that would be light compared to a cast 460 or 7.3