7.3 mods?

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
alright guys i need some help!! i have a buddy that has a 99 f-350 6-speed 4x4, he has an edge juice w/attitude and some chip that was in the truck when he got it. he wants to know what to do next? he was also thinkin about a cummins swap is their any kits for this or did i just piss all the ford guys off...... he just want to get the most he can for the money!!!!!!:badidea: :poke:

if money is flowing, go cummins. but can be pricey. go to destroked.com, cummins-conversions.com. otherwise, exhaust, intake are good starters. other guys will chime in. if i had the money, ied go cummins.

What's his budget? Is it an early 99 or a 99.5? How much power is he after? What does he do with his truck (tow, race, daily driver)?

Here's the good news, being a 99, he's got forged rods that will support 500hp. With the bottom end being in good shape, now much you want to build will determine what has to happen on the top end and injector/turbo/HPOP wise. The best thing he could do would be to dump the edge junk on ebay and buy some tuning from Cale Thompson or DP Tuner. No matter what he does, he'll need intake, exhaust, gauges, and a clutch (iirc, the stocker is not much use after 280 or 300 at the flywheel). Let us know and we'll be able to give you a little better idea of what your up against.

I have a 2000 7.3 PSD that I recently installed 180cc injectors, Tony Wildman 4 position chip, AFE intake, 4" exhaust, guages and a 1oo hp'ish predator module. It is my daily driver / work truck. Always towing some kind of trailer. And I love it. When the auto-trans is in it. Too much fun for a daily driver. Unfortunately my money is on the Cummins swap though.

A custom burned chip seems to be the best way to go on those. I had a TS chip, but I have heard that Dp-Tuner is even better. But I also agree if you got a moderate amount of cash the Cummins will give you big bang for the buck if you swap it in. A guy that works for a company I subcontract for put a superchip on his 01 7.3 6 speed and was telling me how quick it made the truck. Then I took him for a ride in my Ram and he just about cried.

ok he wants to build the powerstroke! he wants a turbo, injectors,guages, clutch, exhaust,and intake!

he also wants the dual oil pumps? is there a big gain from this or are they no good or is there a better way to go?

keep in mind guys he tows with this truck but he wants to build some big power and try to stay reliable?

Mudn_1 said:
ok he wants to build the powerstroke! he wants a turbo, injectors,guages, clutch, exhaust,and intake!

he also wants the dual oil pumps? is there a big gain from this or are they no good or is there a better way to go?

keep in mind guys he tows with this truck but he wants to build some big power and try to stay reliable?
713-984-9441
ask for David.

Yeah that David guy can hook you up, stay away from that other place with all the cobb webs.:shake:

by Mudn_1 said:

everyone with dual hpops seems to be thrilled as it really improves drivability and allows you to run big injectors. my set up should be on in a few weeks. sounds like he's got the right idea, and like PSR said:
Powerstroke Racer said:
(319) 841-1191
ask for Brian.

good call david! man you're really coming around!

Last edited:
I would make sure your friend calls and purchases from supporting vendors of this site. They pay so you can have a place to ask these questions and get some valuable feedback and options.

Its easy to spot a supporting vendor, as it will say it in their title.

bbunting said:
I would make sure your friend calls and purchases from supporting vendors of this site. They pay so you can have a place to ask these questions and get some valuable feedback and options.

Its easy to spot a supporting vendor, as it will say it in their title.
Good call BC.

Easier to look for the blue user names which designates sponsors.

Last edited:
thanks guys i will be sure to tell him to call david, i really appreciate all your help!

you might try beans diesel performance ive got a lot of stuff from beans and there real good people. ive got stealth pumps big injecters fuel system turbo. and alomost everyhtin gelse u can do to powerstoke and i still pull a 30ft trl evert week.