81 Chevy short bed w/Compound turbos

TheSh111t

That one guy
Hello, everyone. As some of you may remember I'm working on an 81 Chevy short bed 2wd pickup with a 12v Cummins. I have been really busy the last couple months so have had very little time to work on the truck. I finally got some time so I have been working on the compound turob setup for the past couple days off and on. I have attatched pics of the progress so far. The turbo specs are S300 62mm primary and S400 75mm secondary. I plan on driving the truck on the street, it is no pulling truck so I have kept the fueling modifications fairly mld. I have never done this before, so PLEASE be kind LOL. Enjoy th pics and feel free to ask any questinons you may have.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Hmmmmm that hot pipe looks as big as my.............well it's pretty big!

JOHNSON!!!! Yes sir? LOL

The truck itself and the fab work look good though. (Sorry forgot to mention that in my first post.)

Sweet build but Im gonna agree with Levi though on the pipe. ^

Very nice I'll bet that is gonna be a fun street truck, always wanted to do that conversion myself but never have the time. Do you have any more pics of the rest of the truck and the build?

Thanks everyone. It has been a long time comming. It's almost finished. I have things like wiring, carpet and a few small other things before it's on the road.

Hmmmmm that hot pipe looks as big as my.............well it's pretty big!

JOHNSON!!!! Yes sir? LOL

The hot pipe does look pretty long/big. I don't think that will help spool up.

Yeah, I know the hot pipe is rather long. I had a heck of a time finding a tighter radius 3.5" mandrel bend. But the good news if that I finally found it. I ordered it last week, it arrived today. Tomorrow I'll be outside fabbing up a new hotpipe. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post new pics once the pipe is competed. Here is a pic of the new exhaust "Donut" that I'll be cutting up tomorrow to build the new hotpipe.

CIMG0030.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg

Most exhaust systems don't see 100psi though.

Besides the hot pipe, that truck looks great! I love the 81-87 (and 87-91 1 ton) body style. Have anymore pictures of the truck? :Cheer:

Most exhaust systems don't see 100psi though.

Besides the hot pipe, that truck looks great! I love the 81-87 (and 87-91 1 ton) body style. Have anymore pictures of the truck? :Cheer:

That is true. Typical exhaust systems don't see 100 PSI, but in all honesty, I don't know what else to build it out of. I can find little info on production kits, as far as hot pipe construction. I assumed they were simple exhaust tubing. I chose 14 gauge over thinner 16 gauge, because I did think of the pressures and heat it wil be put under, but didn't think that far into it. You know what they say about people who ASSume. I doubt that my hot pipe will see anywhere near 100 psi, I'm running the twins at ~60 PSI (Once I get them all set up). It was my understanding that the drive pressure will be divided between the 2 turbos. So if I can get the drive pressure to boost pressure ratio somewhere near 1:1, the hot pipe should only see around 30 psi or so. Perhaps I'm wrong, I am new to thins whole compound turbo thing. But I guess I'll see once I get the truck finished up. I can take a few pics of the truck tomorrow for you. I have pics of the parts, but none of the actual truck. Thanks for the complament. I also like this era of Chevy pickup. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Ok guys, sorry about the delay. Rain and family stuff prevented me from doing any work on the truck untill today. Here are a few pics of the new hot pipe I build. I'll post more pics of it wrapped in header wrap and reinstalled on the truck tomorrow.

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

No fire wall modifications what so ever. It took a little longer to run the downpipe, and the mechanical fan had to go in it's place I used 2 electric fans, but I didn't have to do any modifications to either the firewall or the radiator support (I did drill 4 small holes to mount my air/water intercoolers radiator, but that's it.

Thanks... I just hope you were speaking to me. Not to take anything away from that "OTHER" Chevy LOL. Thats a great looking truck as well. Definatly better looking then mine. One of these days I'll finish mine up.

Thanks... I just hope you were speaking to me. Not to take anything away from that "OTHER" Chevy LOL. Thats a great looking truck as well. Definatly better looking then mine. One of these days I'll finish mine up.

Its for both of you guys these trucks are pretty sweet wish I had one.:rockwoot:

Back