89 For sled pulling

Willy91

Howdy folks,
I've got a question for all of you who have knowledge about the older 12valves with VE pump. A buddy and I just picked up a 1989 Dodge 1 ton. It has a flat bed on it, 4wd, 5spd. We're looking to build it for sled pulling. I can handle most of the stuff as far as the trucks goes for suspension and so forth, but I don't know much about the VE pumps. Is it possible to get a ve pump to turn around 4,000RPM? If so how hard is it to do. And how much power can a VE make without having to get it reworked? We're trying to do this one fairly inexpensivley. Maybe trying to find a turbo from a junkyard and redoing it. Would a Bht3b work as a single, for sled pulling only, or maybe the inducer would be to big?

Thanks for any info you can give me,
Willy

Last edited:
Best bet would be to drop the VE and swap on a P-7100 pump from the following generation........ IMHO....

Although I have heard of a 600 something horse 1st gen with a VE(I think)

And try looking in the classifieds here or even e-bay for turbos

depends how crazy you want to get, like RacinDuallie said you can make some good power with em but it isn't easy, i would try it then if you need more put a pPump on it

Can always look for that P-pump in the yards too, as well as e-bay or the classifieds.......

LOL I found one attached to a 12V in a shed that was being torn down by new owners....LOL Yes I took em........

Not realy looking to go to crazy right away, would like to put down around 400-500 for this year then after that who knows. This is basically just going to be a project for fun. Trying to makes some power and do all right at all the county pulls plus maybe some others. It's just an old truck, nothing special so I don't wanna dump a bunch into it. I've always wanted to put a hood stack on something.:hehe:

How serious dose he want to get about pulling?

Alot of things need to be addressed really before competing with a first gen yes there a people that pull them and do alright.

Not to sure about how must fueling you can really get out of a VE for pulling I know Jeff Strothcamp (SP) from out around MO was giving a VE a good run sled pulling but was on a second gen chassis. I would recommend just swapping a P-pump on with a little bit of work very well worth it.

A 3b can be ran as a single if you have the RPM and fuel to do it which I dont think you will get from the VE, also depending on where you want to pull at it might screw you running that big of a charger and end up running against some bigger trucks.

The trans needs some work. Best thing to do is put a NV4500 in and be done with it, with 1 3/8 input splined main shaft and different ext. housing, the NP205 will go right on the back of the 4500.

The front axle will need upgraded to handle the pulling, with different axles, hubs and lockouts you can have a pretty strong front axle and not to bad on cost.

I have some stuff laying around here so if he's serious about doing something get a hold of me, if you have any questions ill try to help you out.

Zach

We're looking into getting into it pretty decently this year, hit all the county pulls around the area plus some others. Depends how far we get on it. The front differential is bad we think so the plans are to get a junyard drivetrain, from a second gen, tranny, transfer case, and front axle. Probably just weld the spyders in the rear axle for a posi, and then get whatever we can outa the engine, without spending to much on it, and then go have some fun.

Willy

Smokem said:
You will need a 14mm head to make the hp you are looking for. Strothcamp was running a VP-44, not a VE-44.

HOw much does it take to do this?

kta knows how to pull over 500hp out of these just by tuning the stock pumps . over that it take ether a p pump or one of his special 14mm rotor head pumps wich hes made over 600hp with. as for turning 4k with the ve pump it can be done . there is a 4200 gov spring set for the ve pump . i would look into vavle springs and head studs. for sticks i would look at somthing like PODs i think theres a set of these on the dtr classifieds right now . for charger i would look at something like a k31 these came on some of the old detriots they will fit into the 2.8 class most were wastegated to .
just a few thoughts

Found a turbo today that I think might be a possibility. Does anyone know what size an Si-50 is? Has Cummins on the badge, but I couldn't find and stamping on the rest of it for the company.

Willy91 said:
Found a turbo today that I think might be a possibility. Does anyone know what size an Si-50 is? Has Cummins on the badge, but I couldn't find and stamping on the rest of it for the company.

Post a pic of it....

Smokem said:
It's an old school charger before Holset. It was proceeded by the HT3B and HT60 in the 80's and early 90's.

so do you think it would be worth running? This charger looks like it's never been used. It is at vocational school, and I can get it for free. Reason I say it seems new is there is no soot on the turbine, no nicks on the compressors side and no shaft play. I guess the next thing I need to adress is the clutch. What do you's think? I know the DD's from SBC and Haisley are top notch, but is there anything else out there that will do good for not so much $$? Has anyone ever heard of running an Iron on iron single? I saw it on Valairs website for $600 and some dollars but I don't know how it would do. Thanks for answering my questions.

Willy