91' wont go into O.D.??

powerchoke-eatr

RACING!
just bought a 91' D350 2wd that wont go into overdrive. what can i look for or check? i noticed a pressure looking switch on one of the tranny lines with a broke end with no wires does that control it? thanks mike

If it is the transmission temperature sensor, that could be your problem. On the 2nd gen trucks, they dont have a gauge on the dash for trans temp, but they do have a sensor in the line, and the computer does get a reading from that. If the trans temp isnt hot enough, it wont let overdrive engage. I know you can use a resistor to jump between the 2 factory wires going to the sensor. That is how I have mine. i think it is a 1k ohm resistor, but im not 100% on that. Good luck.

Eric

You should have a 518 non electronic tranny. The throttle position sensor (tps) controls OD. You can check and adjust it. Or if you have a wiring problem or something you can just run a ground wire to a manual switch and connect it to the OD solenoid on the tranny and control it whenever you want.

thanks for the help guys...can you tell me how to wire it up that way on the tps? or is it cheap enough its worth tryin to swap out?