92 4x4 lockout hubs to a 97

dieselmann97

I have a 97 2nd gen and a wrecked 92 1st gen 4x4, ive always wanted to convert my 97 to lockout hubs, now does anyone know if i can use any of the stuff on my 92 to convert my 97 over to lockout hubs? i know the diffs or on opposit sides but are the shafts the same length? will it bolt up to the knuckle on my 97? has anyone tried this to see if it will work? i know there are conversion kits but pretty pricey. any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

You're gonna have to swap inner knuckles. There is a guy on DTR who just did this, check in the 12v section, says he has pics of it.

tate, i looked at that site & i understand the whole deal but they put ford knuckles on, my 92 isnt a ford, its a 1st gen dodge with king pin dana 60, so your saying swap knuckles at all over to my 97 right? Will that work though with that being king pin style and my 97 as we all know is ball joint...

check to see if they both use the same part number ball joints, putting the ford stuff on you get the added benefit of dual piston calipers, if you look on pirate a girl shows how to upgrade the dodge front dana 60 with the ford parts

Your 92 Dodge kingpin parts will not work on your 97. You need the spindle off of a 92 Ford with Dana 50 or 60 balljoint front axle. I have the parts to do this, but have not started on it yet. I welded up the holes on the Ford spindle, mounted it in the Dodge knuckle, marked the holes and re-drilled the spindle. You will need some 11.2" long Dana 60 outer axle shafts. I went with 35 spline shafts and going to 35 spline lockouts. There are some good articles about this swap on Pirate4x4.com and maybe turbo dieselregister.com I have a few pics of my spindle and knuckle if you are interested.

cut the brackets off your 97 dif and get them welded onto your 92 dif... then run an NP205 T-case and a long front driveshaft.....

or, sell your 92 front dif to a chevy guy building a Bogger and find a D60 out of a 92-96 F250 and happy swapping

havnt had time to fully test my lil project.
I have recently found out that u can swap a ford unit bearing assembly and dodge will interchange then u would have lockouts however u would have 8-170 lug pattern and not 8- 6.5
I also just found out a 95 balljoint ford knuckle assembly will bolt up to a 99 and up SD axle and I have elimiated the unit bearings
IIRC ford and dodge balljoints are the same