94 2500 4x4 tire recommendations?

PRattenbury

Neophyte
I'm going to have to replace my Michelin XZL 9R16 radials I have on my truck presently. At 450 hp they were pretty scary to drive on the street, especially if the road was wet. At 650 horse, I'm pretty sure it would only be a matter of time before someone got hurt or killed if I drove on the street. Anyway, I'll be using this truck on the street and maybe an occasional quarter mile blast. I won't be doing any towing, since I have the '07 doolie. I have the Kore Chase suspension on the truck, so it's a bit higher than stock, and it has Road Armor bumpers powdercoated gray. The truck itself is flame red. Regular cab. 4.10 gears with a locker out back and ARB in front. I'd like to get some opinions as to what tires would be recommended, and any wheel ideas are welcome. :thankyou2:

i would go with somewhere around a 10" wide wheel to mount a wider tire so you have a bigger contact patch.

I agree. I'd like to find out what tires and wheels people have had luck with. Do they run 20's? 17's? 16's? 22's? Michelin? Bridgestone? Toyo? Yoko? Just looking for what works well for the driver/occasional drag truck.

Since you're lifted AND drag racing it's tough for me to say, I'd usually like to fill up the wheel wells. But something like the size I'm running just wouldn't be the best for 1/4 mile times.. Maybe something in the 305/70/17 range? My Last two sets have been Nitto terragrapplers.. They've done well for me. I never had a problem running an 8" wide wheel with the 305 tire.. I just lowered the air pressure in the rear for regular daily driving and it wore perfect.

i really like the look of 20's thats why i run them i also like the stiffer sidewall. the tire i chose were toyo open country a/t's, so far i love them, they are the best semi aggressive tire i have bought. they are equivilent to a 33x12.5x20 in size, my next set will probably be toyo proxies though...

Lucky Jeff said:
Since you're lifted AND drag racing it's tough for me to say, I'd usually like to fill up the wheel wells. But something like the size I'm running just wouldn't be the best for 1/4 mile times.. Maybe something in the 305/70/17 range? My Last two sets have been Nitto terragrapplers.. They've done well for me. I never had a problem running an 8" wide wheel with the 305 tire.. I just lowered the air pressure in the rear for regular daily driving and it wore perfect.

I've had a few people mention being slightly lifted is a disadvantage on the track. Why is that? Less aerodynamic drag if you're down low? Seems like weight transfer could happen regardless of height, but there must be something to it. I don't see many lifted funny cars around. I kinda like the look and utility of the truck with the Kore. I like the Fox Shox. I don't think I'm going to get that hard core into the drag racing. What you all are saying makes sense. I need a wider tire. And I need something that's going to look right in the wheel wells. So I guess something between 33 and 35 inches tall, that's wider than the 9 inchers I have now, and that have less sidewall height would be the ticket. I've heard good things about Nitto tires, and I like the Toyo Proxes, too. Any other input is still welcome. I want to make a good choice. And my stock rims I run now aren't in the picture. Any suggestions on wheels? Should I stay steel, go aluminum? Bead locks? Anyone got pics of something similar to my setup? I'd love to see some ideas.

Aluminum wheels for the weight reduction and to help the suspension components last longer. With 4.10's you should be able to run a 35 tall tire and not have to much penalty on the strip, might actually help you to keep from running out of gear on the big end. I would go with a set of 20's with the all terrain of your choice on it for the best combination of road manners, tire selection and pricing. 20's aren't cheap, but there is a fairly good selection to choose from and the reduced sidewall will make a big difference.

Only reason I mentioned the lift is because I think the tires you can fit under a stock height truck thrown under a truck that's lifted, just looks silly.

You can see what I'm running. I posted a pic in the 8-lug magazine thread.. The shorter sidewall for cornering definitely made a big difference. The tires are just over 35" tall and 12.9" wide. I can post up a picture of my buddies truck who's running the 305/55/20's (same nitto as me) as a comparison. His has the same leveling kit I have.. I had to use DT Profab 1/2" forward control arms for mine to fit though. And his barely clear with the factory control arms.

I agree, 'normal size' tires make a lifted truck look like some sort of demented roller skate. The taller ones bring things back into proportion. So it looks like either Nittos or Toyos in a 20". I've seen some really good looking wheels on trucks in passing. I just need to take my time I guees and do it once, correctly if I can. Thanks for everyone's help. :thankyou2:

Best answer that i can give you

hands down Toyo M55. ten plies and three on teh side.. this is a no nonsence tire that i have put thru mud and sand, and it works DAMN GOOD... pricey tho...

DO it once and do it right... least for a good while...

i run the 285 size and it was 1100 mounted, balanced and out the door...

Rick

TxDiesel007 said:
Best answer that i can give you

hands down Toyo M55. ten plies and three on teh side.. this is a no nonsence tire that i have put thru mud and sand, and it works DAMN GOOD... pricey tho...

DO it once and do it right... least for a good while...

i run the 285 size and it was 1100 mounted, balanced and out the door...

Rick
you're kinda stuck on that tire aren't ya? did you even see what kind of tire she was looking for?