95 auto trans mods??

diesel junkie02

I NEED MORE COWBELL!!
Me, oldsmokey97 and another buddy bought a 95 single cab dodge auto 2wd for a project race truck :evil . so far we ground down the plate,afe cold air,191 DV's,gutted the afc, took out the muffler and cat. The trans was rebuilt b4 we bought it and she shifts good and is tight but we were wondering about the trans, were fixin to start beefin it up and wanted to know were to start first and with what brand? thanks in advance. :thankyou2:

Lane

yes. any help in the auto field of the diesel world is much needed. We have the standard (stick) shifter's part down..... but the auto thing is a different story.
We have a really good buddy that can rebuild/replace parts with better stuff but.... what would be the first thing to buy that would help get her down the 1/4 a lil' faster.
Tranny was rebuilt not long at all before I bought it and.. right now it shifts AWESOME. The truck launches HARD and locks into OD really hard. But, sometimes (when to the floor), it seems like it doesnt want to shift into OD. It only does this 10% of the time. And, the tranny seems like it waits a little too long to shift when to the floor. Rpms will climb till around the 2600rpm mark before she wants to shift. Is this normal?? Will more rpms help??

Remember ALL......... this is my very first AUTOMATIC ... EVER!!! so any input is crucial.

Lance

This sound like the same problem Im having. if you floor it from a dead stop it pulles and shifts hard to about 45mph and 2200rpm in 3rd then slowly pulls to 2600 and 65mph then shifts into 4th and locks up at about 72mph drops the rpm to around 2000 and pegs the boost gauge and you best hold onto to my beer hallin a$$ run to 100+

yep. Exactly.

We just need that slow spots between 45 and 65 to get a little faster. When that convertor locks into OD at about 60....... it just plum A$$ goes!!!

And this truck being my FIRST AUTO TRUCK I EVER OWNED is kinda throwing a problem my way.

COULD SOMEONE HELP...??? different valve body maybe?? DO they make some sort of shift kits??

Lance

would a valve body help by making shifts little firmer and faster? Also... who to get from??

Also, whats the best way to rig up a lockup switch? And when is the best time to lockup the converter using the switch?? I just read somewhere to lock it up after 2nd gear while going down the 1/4.

Lance

Call Goerend. The 45-60 slowness is telling you that the stock converter isn't efficient enough to transfer the power before the governor springs pull fuel back at 2600. Tell Dave what you've done and what you want. He'll get you the right set of parts to build the tranny correctly.

garmon builds a great valve body also

with stock shafts lock in 2nd if you lock in 1st the 1-2 shift is perty harse I have my lock up switch on the shifter

I did not have much luck with ats 3 in one year (last one I am still kicking around he shop) I have had great luck with the suncoast

Back