956/18xx When head gasket went

Sloverado

Cheat To Win
Well we have found the limit of basic head studs and stock MLS gasket. When trying to get over the 1000 hp mark on first run we had a bunch of flooder not sure what it was as I thought it may have been a wastegate issue after checking and turning Smarty down a bit we started to make another pass when the fire was coming out the front of the head where it pushed the gasket out.

It went 956/18xx at 2700 rpm when it let loose on fuel only. There is plenty left in it as the turbo's were just starting to get going. So we found out how far you can take just the $400 ARP studs and stock gasket on the CR's.

Thanks!! It was a time bomb you could say. We were just pushing as far as we could to see how far one will go and we found out. I am going to take the head off to get machined and o ringed tomorrow. Wish I could get the intake cut off and port the whole thing but things are alittle tight these days to keep things goin. I know there is an easy 1000hp in the truck as I have to big of injectors now so when I pull them I may get them redone.

I didn't get one as it was at a Test and Tune day for a pulling club in MO. Would of been a good vodeo as the so called sparks everyone saw was actually number 1 spitting a little fire. We will see the damage tomorrow as I can just see the gasket sticking out of the front of the head right now.

Well we have found the limit of basic head studs and stock MLS gasket. When trying to get over the 1000 hp mark on first run we had a bunch of flooder not sure what it was as I thought it may have been a wastegate issue after checking and turning Smarty down a bit we started to make another pass when the fire was coming out the front of the head where it pushed the gasket out.

It went 956/18xx at 2700 rpm when it let loose on fuel only. There is plenty left in it as the turbo's were just starting to get going. So we found out how far you can take just the $400 ARP studs and stock gasket on the CR's.

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering about regular arp's and high boost.

Congrats on the numbers, it looks like you're on the way to the big house.

-jp

You were lucky to push that much power through that combo, Ryan... go back in with 625+ & 12V gasket w/O-rings if you want bulletproof.

You were lucky to push that much power through that combo, Ryan... go back in with 625+ & 12V gasket w/O-rings if you want bulletproof.

Yup thats what we are doing this next go around. I think the 20 over gasket with o rings will be what I am going to do for sure just wanting to maybe do a little port work while its off but who knows what will happen.

Ryan, nice numbers dude!
Seems to be some good power at fairly low rpm, I cannot relate to this at all.
As for programming I would be curios to know what it was that got things rolling so quick. Making 956/1800 plus at 2700 rpm would make me wonder how much air would be left come 3300rpm...

I personally don't like the .20 over gasket.... always had white smoke at startup and only lasted 40K before it started seeping. Just use a standard gasket, I think you'll have better reliability.

Lavon

I dont drive much on the street as I have 12k miles on it in 4.5 years. I am going lower comp this winter any ways but we will see. I have a guy wanting to do a special intake and some port work now as they called today. So we will see how well it will run in a couple of weeks.

lol... Like you said just a matter of time till it went haha. Great numbers tho.I'm changing my 2000's out for 625's

I didn't get one as it was at a Test and Tune day for a pulling club in MO. Would of been a good vodeo as the so called sparks everyone saw was actually number 1 spitting a little fire. We will see the damage tomorrow as I can just see the gasket sticking out of the front of the head right now.

I've got a video of your first 2 pulls on the dyno, I guess I left before it let go. I'll try and get it up tonight or tomorrow.

Nice to meet you by the way too (I am Seth with the 95 Dodge that ran first on the dyno)

Yup its on the heartbreaker as it reads alittle lower than the dynojet I go on as well. Yes it was nice to meet you as well. We blew the gasket on the first one as it seemed to i guess flooder after 2800 on up real bad and I thought it was gate issues as that is why we stopped and I double checked everything once over. After the double check and turning Smarty down is when it went all the way out the front.

IMO that 1k and up on fuel only is in the "need" to lower compresison area, hard parts will thank you for it.

Great numbers, I've sure had great luck with the MLS, but haven't hit it with the juice yet either. Running about 15:1 now.

nice numbers ryan even though you had setbacks still very impressive

Kinda a pet peeve of mine. Dynoing with the hood up. I heard serveral people suffered burns from flying coolant? Is that true. A guy has to be very careful now days.

Back