96 Chevy 4+4 conversion

mr.mallam

Hello all, this is my first post here. I am in the middle of doing my conversion, and was wondering if anyone knows how far to move the tranny back. I have 3 " to play with . That leaves me with 1/2 and inch between the t case and the torque bar crosser. will 3 inches give me enough clearance for the fans?

If you are using the Cummins adapter they have factory mounts but they put the engine at a slight tilt Rich

I used the tilted adapter and left the engine normal and ran the trans on an angle, worked fine. Actually helped me correct drive line angles.

I have measured and the most I can get is 3" then that leaves me with 1/2 " clearance from the t case to the torque bar crosser, I could get 4 " if it wern't for the little plug that sticks out the back of the T case. The only other way would be to get a different T case and I really don't want to do that. How did you get 4 "? I have a 97 6bt with 1 gen mounts. I will be using the factory gm mounts modified. I have all ready fitted it and seems like it will work out fine. Any one else have an opinion on this? Thanks guys. :bang

Move the Torsion bar crossmember, You can move it back up to at least 1", thats what it took for me to fit it between the trans and the transfer case. Jacked it up removed the bar slid the whole assembley back 1" and redrilled the whole and bolted it in. I dont know that I would move it back any more than 1" though. Theres still a good amount of the torsion bar in the lower A-arms yet.

Thanks z79outlaw I wasn't sure if I should do that, but if there is enough bar I can't see why not. How much clearance does thjat give you between your fan and rad?:thankyou2:

I have measured and the most I can get is 3" then that leaves me with 1/2 " clearance from the t case to the torque bar crosser, I could get 4 " if it wern't for the little plug that sticks out the back of the T case. The only other way would be to get a different T case and I really don't want to do that. How did you get 4 "? I have a 97 6bt with 1 gen mounts. I will be using the factory gm mounts modified. I have all ready fitted it and seems like it will work out fine. Any one else have an opinion on this? Thanks guys. :bang

I cut out all the IFS and put in a dana 60

Thanks z79outlaw I wasn't sure if I should do that, but if there is enough bar I can't see why not. How much clearance does thjat give you between your fan and rad?:thankyou2:

Enough that I could run the 2nd gen fan hub, but I've got a 1st gen fan hub and saved an extra 1.5" or so, I dont have the radiator in its final posistion yet, as I kept changing my mind on what radiatiator intercooler combination I wanted to run, but its as far back as I can set the motor without interfering with anything. And still retaining IFS and theres still what I beleive to be more than enough room to safely run a mechanical fan. Even with the longer 2nd gen fan hub.