96 F-250 wont start after sitting and cold weather

Nitrous340

So we're trying to get my friends truck running again after its sat for a couple months and has hit -20 a few times. It cranks and cranks and doesn't blurp or anything. I held the valve open on the filter housing to see it fuel came out and it did while cranking...

Now do these have mech or elec fuel pumps? Is the pressure sensitive like the vp cummins? I think it might of gotten air in the lines, whats the best way to bleed the system?

Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks for the help.

A little huff of either works wonders, I dont use it...but thats because my trucks start in the cold!

I forgot to mention we've tried either a few times and still no start. It almost wants to catch but then goes back to just cranking...

try soaking a rag in gas and set it in the intake to the turbo... it starts way safer than ether and provides some fuel to get lines cleared. is it still below freezing there?
if it has a block heater get it plugged in and quite possibly the glow plugs are gone in it. and if its dead cold nothing will happen.. try to warm it up somehow.

Well we had figured out that the deal was.... the oil reserve tank for the HPOP drained out and wasn't refilling... So we pull the oil pressure sensor and filled the tank a couple times and it fired up. Dont know what made it drain, would imagine it would have a antidrain valve.

Well thats good to hear.. I believe they do have a anti drain back valve, but after sitting for a few months it may must have allowed all the oil to drain out...

I have an '03 that would drain the HPOP Resovior.. It would crank till the batteries were almost dead before it would fire..

I have also noticed with the PSD, they take a bit more Ether to get them running than most engines

Back