96 reg cab 4x4 5sp as donor for my 2001?

Ryan_m83

Just wondering if this truck would be a good donor truck to do a 5spd swap to my 2001? Does anyone know if the parts would work?

awesome, Im guessing it would be a NV4500 in the 96 then? Also would the transfer case work, I know theres a difference between the splines on the auto/manuals

Yes, a 96 would be a nv4500. The transfer case will work from the 5 speed truck. Do yourself a favor and find the new style top cover for the nv4500 before you put it in. There's a possibility you will still need to find an ecm from a 24v manual truck. You may have some problems with torque management.

After I did my swap truck ran fine for a few days and then went in to some sort of limp mode where I could rev past 2000 rpm. I ended up replacing my ecm, pcm and abs module in the end and now no problems for over 3+ years. Hope this helps if you ran into any problems.

Does the 96 have a CAD front axle? I know on my 01 it has a vacuum switch on the transfer case for the CAD to engage the collar in the front axle. Not sure if the older trucks used CAD or not.

Back