97 12v Gen light issue Alternator has been replaced. Please Help

zrultima

have a 97 2500 in which I Had my interior lights flickering on my truck turned out out to be my alternator going out so I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one. The lights are still flickering not as bad but its there. As rpm increases the light stops flickering with both of them.

Today I drove to wendys had the ac on and it shut off the gen light came on so i had the alternator tested again came up as low output so replaced again same issue today.

NOTE: I had just replaced my injectors and i was getting a low idle so i adjusted it today to normal but even in park lights are still flickering please help

Where are you getting these alternators? I had bad luck with some orielly ones before. Swapped to different parts store and issue solved.

I picked them up at my NAPA Store where I work brand new alternators. I havent taken off the fuse but the truck gauge does fluctuate but it goes down when the Ac is turn on and driving it shut off on me at wendys at the drive thru

Last edited:
also check your battery if its going out and starting to short out.

Also check the ESS and its connections. It could be oil soaked or gapped wrong or just bad.

Battery tested fine grounds are all good and tight the ESS looks clean and I cleaned it up looks good to me and gapped correctly

Still dont have an idea hopefully its not the PCM since NAPA doesnt sell it for now im riding out in the rain when it rains

Still dont have an idea hopefully its not the PCM since NAPA doesnt sell it for now im riding out in the rain when it rains

NAPA new alt country of origin way over there. Short people with slanty eyes.:hehe:
I've had one on my truck for a few years with no issues. May be time for an external regulator.

Well nothing made in USA anymore so I gave up that hope Alternator from cummins are made in Mexico not that there any problems with that as far as the alternator I recieved its from Mexico too. I hoping I could get the external regulator done by today. Alot of folks have to understand for companies to make money they cant built anything to last forever anymore there not enough money rolling around in the US to make things that last forever. Its a different time.... nothing last forever

Last edited:
Well nothing made in USA anymore so I gave up that hope Alternator from cummins are made in Mexico not that there any problems with that as far as the alternator I recieved its from Mexico too. I hoping I could get the external regulator done by today. Alot of folks have to understand for companies to make money they cant built anything to last forever anymore there not enough money rolling around in the US to make things that last forever. Its a different time.... nothing last forever

Agree. I did an AC repair on a '07. OE compressor made in S Korea. Replaced it with one made in China.

Well guys I have resolved the issue it turn out one of the wires from the fusible link to the alternator had burned and fused with one of the other wires causing a false voltage reading so the wire was spliced from the alternator wiring and put directly through. I will take pics I also had 2 corroded grounds that lead to the batteries and the terminals on the battery were going bad had them replaced. if anything else comes up I will keep this updated