97 CCLB 5spd 4x4

lastcall190

Cliffs Notes Version:

Year: 97
Trans: 5spd
Miles: 235k
Color: Green/silver two tone (black/silver bed)
Interior: Tan Leather
4x4: Yes
Price: 5500 or BEST OFFER
Notes: See Below

Up for sale is a 97 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5spd. 235k miles, green/silver two tone with a black/silver two tone bed. Stock bed was a joke so I swapped it out with a spare one I found locally. Interior is tan leather with woodgrain, and the seats are what you'd expect for a dodge; kind of torn up. Back seat is great though, go figure. It's a club cab long bed, and sits on 3rd gen wheels/tires. Tires are 265/70/17 and the fronts are good, but rears are nearing their expiration.

Clutch is good, but then again I have barely turned up the pump (break off screws were still on diaphragm cover and preboost at 235k miles). Prior owner put a #11 and Full Cuts in (ugh), I pulled the FCs and put 181s back in. #12 plate sits at just past the middle and the AFC is slid forward a bit. EGT and Boost gauges are installed and the turbo hits ~22psi when spooled. I have a boost elbow but never installed it, you can have it with the truck.

The truck is NOT mint, it was used as a work truck prior to my owning it, and has several dents, dings, scratches. Front fenders are hurting, but I have two spare MINT red ones that I will let go with the truck. Bed is in very good shape save for a small hole in the actual box itself near the tailgate. Rockers and the bottom of the doors aren't looking so good, had a body shop check the truck out a few months ago and they said it wasn't totally shot and was not too bad to fix. Floors look good as well.

Trans shifts well and doesn't pop out of gear. Prior owner told me he had the 5th Gear fix performed, and I have no reason to doubt but I never opened up the trans to actually find out (I also made a point to not lug it in 5th or hammer down too bad either).

KDP is a non-issue as the case was replaced with the newer style that has the small ridge in the dowel hole to prevent it from backing out. As a result the front crank seal was replaced and the timing case cover gasket was replaced as well. I did the vacuum pump reseal when I first got the truck, but the power steering fluid filter which was in place appears to be leaking. There is a good bit of grime built up over 13yrs and 235k miles.

It could use an alignment but seems to track surprisingly straight down the road. I recently put on new/rebuilt calipers from Autozone with near new brake pads, as well as a new NAPA master cylinder. There still feels like there is some air in the system, as the brakes need a pump or so then they firm up and brake very well. The 1ton cylinders are in the back and speed bleeders up front.

The truck is a 4x4 and the 4wd works great (used it over the winter). The dash only blows on defrost, but the panel works if you manually move the blend door. Because of this I didn't believe it was a vacuum issue, though I could be wrong. The hose near the cruise control was shot so I removed it. Cruise is in place but I never hooked it up. I swapped the rear axle a couple months ago to a 3.54 rear. I thought I was getting a DRW rear, but it turns out it was a cab and chassis, so the wheels tuck in a bit versus stick out. Besides looking kind of odd at quick glance, the truck drives fine. It has a new rear ABS sensor as well.

The front axle is still a 4.10. I got the pair of axles, but had an emergency and needed some cash so at the time I had to get rid of the axle I hadn't yet swapped in. So I pulled the front driveshaft and the truck has been basically a 2wd for the past few months. The front has a BD Steering Stabilizer on it, and the exhaust is a 5" FBD system. I have a few other parts I'll let go with the truck if someone is interested, including the Cummins valve cover breather setup, BHAF, and Towing Mirrors and brackets.

Other than that I can't think of anything else. The truck starts well (needs just a blip of throttle) and runs well. It is not perfect and needs a few things and I'm just trying to be as forthright as possible to anyone interested. I am located in Northern New Jersey and will get pics as soon as I can. I'm at work right now and don't have any here or on my phone. I am looking for 5500 OR BEST OFFER. Has good NJ inspection till 11/11. Thanks for reading this book.

-J

Last edited: