97 F350 issues

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
Well dads 97 started acting up. It acts like it is starving for fuel. It will barely idle and when you push the accelerator pedal it cough and chokes blowing blew smoke. It has a fresh filter in it, fresh fuel but still acting up. Shouldnt it pump some fuel into the filter housing when you turn the key on? My initial thought is the fuel pump on it has died. Truck has 89xxx miles but was a flood recovery. It has been running fine until the other day. Its starving for fuel. Oil was changed the day he got it and is halfway up the hash marks as it sits right now.

'97 Powerstrokes have a mechanical lift pump, so if your not crankin it won't put fuel in the fuel bowl.. You could get Pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure when its idleing.. theres a valve-stem looking thing on the side of the filter bowl if i remember correctly that you can use to check it.. How long has he had the truck? Were the fuel tanks drained and cleaned? Pick-ups could be plugged up..

He has had it for a month with no problems. The company he bought it from salvages these trucks that's all they do and used this one to run parts for a few months they said. It acts like it's starving for fuel idleing real low and when you start to rev sometimes it will blow a big cloud of blue smoke and run real rough.

Back