97 Suburban/5.9 questions

cumminsbronco

hey guys, several questions I have....planning a 5.9 into my 97 Sub K1500. I have found a 95 12 valve/nv4500/241DHD with 84,000 miles. I know the fella that has it.....he bought a wrecked 3500 dually and stripped it of everything, planning on swapping it into his F350. Anyway, I can buy everything. Comes with IC, radiator, AC condensor, both axles, springs, all the wiring out of the truck, etc etc.
I don't have a need for the axles and would just turn around and sell them. I have a set of 79 Ford Dana 60's...3.54 gears, but I'd have to go through them......seals, brakes, etc. I could also use Ford SuperDuty axles....I have some new/unused 2003 fronts with 3.73's and I can pick up a Sterling rear cheap to go with it.
So, my 2 questions. Which axles would you guys use, and what would be fair price for an 84K mile drivetrain that I know to be in very good condition? I know, I've seen posts where guys say that bought a whole truck for 600 bucks. They invarably have 230,000 miles. That's what my burb has on it and I know that means the drivetrain is pretty loose.
Thanks for any input.

I would think 2500.00 would be about right . There was a time the motor alone would bring 3000.00 alone but times are tuff.I would use the older dana 60 up front and a 14 bolt in the back .Or you can use the dually rear they look cool on Suburbans .
:poke: By the way it was 500.00 not 600.00 for my parts truck and it had 100,000 miles.LOL

I've been looking for a long time for a donor truck at a good price. They just don't surface around here for some reason. Could be because this area is Ford country. The plant where Ford builds their SuperDuty is 25 miles away and Dodges aren't nearly as common, so finding a decent donor is a rarity.
Thanks rs for your opinion. I'll have to see what kind of agreement I can come up with.

I have been very fortunate as I have more friends than money. I never could have afforded to put the Suburban together any other way. So let everyone know that you are looking for a truck. Check your local resources daily. You did not say what state you live in maybe someone on this forum has one for sale. Rich

Rich, it never crossed my mind, but good idea, thanks. OK, I'm in southern Indiana, just north of Louisville, Ky and would travel several hundred miles.....maybe more like 400, for a decent donor. Looking for a 12valve, preferrably with a P pump, and would prefer a manual transmission.

Back