99 24v hammers on high idle

jdiding

cummins guy
my new to me 99 24v when it starts to idle up seems to hammer like holy hell making tons of racket and sounds horrible but as soon as i touch the pedal idle comes back down and it stops till it try`s to idle up again . it has a guad 4k box 7x14 injectors 2.5 turbo and plenty of fuel suppply is this normal for high idle to be like that ? or do i have another issue to work out. it does not matter if the quad is on 0 or any other setting stil lsame thing

Yeah, its normal if it is cold out. If you run a block heater overnight, it wont be as bad in the morning.

3 cyl high idle sounds very likely its 5 in straight pipe to a stack so when it does it its really loud lol
ill take vid today of it i did plug it in last night so that it would be easier to start today so i can move it its a race truck and only has a single battery so its a little hard ti fire off cold lol

I agree that it's likely 3cyl high idle. Kind of sounds like an old Massy Fergueson. Report your egts while it does that. Mine runs roughly 500°.

yea its about 550 or so so yea thats what it is, how the hell do i make it quit lol cant i just have highidle across all cylinders ?

Do a bough of wiring or hit up the guy that mop73 was tellimg me about back in summer. Its different than the box he made years ago! U can turn off and on as you please an has a safe switch too turn off if i understood correct!

I have had electrical fitting made for month an resisters, switchs, but if they got the new box out, i would just buy it than makimg one myself!

3cycled sounds loud an builds heat, it would be even nicer with ve charger closed up!

You see 3 cylinder high idle under 13 degrees F IAT reading.
I build the high idle switch that http://www.dieselautopower.com sells. It's based on Mopar1937man's original setup, but shrug into a 4 position rotary switch. Off-MPG-^ Cyl-3 Cyl. It comes with a faceplate to go i the cubbyhole, gaugepod or custom 2.125 round mount. Any questions, please ask.

Ed

My truck usually high idles on all 6 cylinders. Last night I forgot to plug it and this morning it was banging and carrying on. Outside air temp was 0 degrees.

They really go between 6 cylinder high idle about 13 degrees and 3 cylinder high idle below 13 degrees? That seems kind of odd. Why not one or the other?

15*F is the split. Sorry about the typo.
Also, with the fooler, you get MPG mode which fools the IAT to think it's a warm sunny day & nets you an inrease in mileage due to timing.There have been varied reports, but 1-2 MPG is the norm with a Scangauge.

Ed

Back