99 Durango needs diesel, have 6.0 PS

high toned sob

No Smoke
I've got a 99 durango with the 360, 5 inch lift and 33's. Planning on a solid axle swap this winter, but staying with a 32 or 33 inch tire. Probably use a set of Chevy 3/4 axles, maybe 44 front 14 bolt rear. Anywho, as you can imagine, the 360 isn't gettin the job done. I can muster 13-15mpg if I absolutely baby it, 11-12 if I drive it normal. Besides the fact that it's only 245hp/ 330 ft lbs or so.
I have a 03 6.0 that I pulled from a buddies truck. Motor blew a head gasket, he just bought another complete engine, I put studs and egr delete on it. I kept the old motor.
To get to my point, I can't seem to find any other "small" diesels that would be a good swapper. I DO NOT want to put a 4bt in it. This Durango is a daily driver for my wife, and she doesn't like the rattley ol tractor engine. I have thought about all the ones I know of. Duramax (to $$$), cummins (already got one, and to big) detroits (underpowered for the size that would fit), and Powerstrokes. I even have a few 6.2's I was thinking of building, adding an HX35 and rolling. But at the money I'd have doing all that, I think I could do the 6.0 and have macho power. How are the 7.3's sizewize to a 6.0. Pretty much needs to be a v configuration. Plus, I've already got the 6.0

Any tips or other small high output engines? New Duramax 4.5 would be sweet, but that's outta my league $$$.

with a 6.0 you're looking at some work and money i'd think, If it was me i'd go 4bt and still have a/c and sweet mileage.. there's plenty of 4bt's making 500 plus.. with a v-block your taking up your whole engine bay but i guess with a common rail you would too.. and as far as the rattly little tractor engine, a 6bt and 7.3 wouldn't be very quiet either i dont think.. i'd say 4bt.. let us know what you decide to go with.

the 7.3 and 6.0 are pretty close in size the 7.3 is actually a little lighter and stronger. and the 7.3's a fairly simple for a computer controlled engine there isnt much in the engine bay on a early 7.3 (94.5-97) plus you wont need to make room for an intercooler on a early 7.3.

How about a Mercedes diesel from a sprinter van. The move a pretty good sized vehicle while still getting good mileage. They have been out long enough, that I would think you could pick one up at a reasonable price.

find you self a 4bt common rail i know they make them! that will eliminate the rattly old tractor engine and one guy did a 4bt in his durango here in maryland and it was getting like 25-28 mpg.

Hey thanks for the input.

The sprinter engines you would think could defintatly be in the running. However, I work at a GM/Chrysler dealer and have replaced 4 sprinter engines in the past year. All of them due to wrist pins, then it takes out the block. Cheapest we have found a complete pullout (which is what I'd need) are in the $12,500 range. So that one is OUT.

I knew you guys would say 4bt. I love my 12 valve, so you'd think I'd go for it. This may sound krazy to some, but alot of the excitement for me is the sound and the way the power comes on in a v-diesel. Specially the 6.0, that has to be the best sounding next to a detroit. What kind of pipe would you put on a 4 bt to make it NOT sound like a 4 bt?:lolly:

I definatly don't need 500hp, although a solid 300 would be nice. Maybe around 5-600 ft. lbs would be the cat's meow.

I did not know the 6.0 was physically bigger than a 7.3 psd. The 6.0 looks so little sitting there, reminds me of a GM ls series gasser. I have been unsuccesful finding specs on any engines, ie. wieght, width, hieght, etc. Does anyone know where i could find this info?

I'll try and locate a common rail 4bt pricewise, are they also in the frito-lay, fed-ex trucks?

thanks guys

Hey thanks for the input.

The sprinter engines you would think could defintatly be in the running. However, I work at a GM/Chrysler dealer and have replaced 4 sprinter engines in the past year. All of them due to wrist pins, then it takes out the block. Cheapest we have found a complete pullout (which is what I'd need) are in the $12,500 range. So that one is OUT.

I knew you guys would say 4bt. I love my 12 valve, so you'd think I'd go for it. This may sound krazy to some, but alot of the excitement for me is the sound and the way the power comes on in a v-diesel. Specially the 6.0, that has to be the best sounding next to a detroit. What kind of pipe would you put on a 4 bt to make it NOT sound like a 4 bt?:lolly:

I definatly don't need 500hp, although a solid 300 would be nice. Maybe around 5-600 ft. lbs would be the cat's meow.

I did not know the 6.0 was physically bigger than a 7.3 psd. The 6.0 looks so little sitting there, reminds me of a GM ls series gasser. I have been unsuccesful finding specs on any engines, ie. wieght, width, hieght, etc. Does anyone know where i could find this info?

I'll try and locate a common rail 4bt pricewise, are they also in the frito-lay, fed-ex trucks?

thanks guys

Displacement: 444 cubic inches, 7.3 liters
Configuration: V-8
Compression Ratio: 17.5:1
Bore: 4.11 inches
Stroke: 4.18 inches
Injection: Direct injection, HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injection)
Aspiration: Single turbocharger
Valvetrain: OHV, 2 valves per cylinder
Oil Capacity: 12 quarts
Weight: approx. 920 lbs dry
Horsepower (peak)*: 275 HP @ 2,800 RPM
Torque (peak)*: 525 lb-ft @ 1,600 RPM

Displacement: 365 cubic inches, 6.0 liters
Configuration: V-8
Compression Ratio: 18.0:1
Bore: 3.74 inches
Stroke: 4.13 inches
Injection: Direct injection, Electro Hydraulic Generation Two (G2) injection technology
Aspiration: Single variable geometry turbocharger (VGT)
Valvetrain: Single gear driven camshaft, 4-valves per cylinder
Oil Capacity: 15 quarts
Weight: approx. 966 lbs
Horsepower (peak)*: 325 HP @ 3,300 RPM
Torque (peak)*: 570 lb-ft @ 2,000 RPM

Hope this helps and i believe the 7.3 is a tad bigger in size. getting over 300 hp isnt hard in a 6.0 my buddy has an 03 with SCT tunes and put down about 340 horse. but the 6.0 isnt as reliable as the 7.3 when tuned but some are its just luck of the draw on 6.0's really. a 7.3 with a large tune will get you right around 300 horse.

Might be goin the wrong way, but have you thought about a CAT, John Deere, Case, Kabota, or Perkins(believe there part of CAT Now) Engine out of a piece of Ag or Construction Equipment?

isnt the durango and dakota similar in the engine bar and there is a memeber who put a 12v or 24v in his dakota