99 truck 01 eng only 2000rpm Help!!!

lilbigpower

just replaced my cracked (53) block with a good engine out of a 2001 truck and now will not accelerate over 2000 rpms could rreally use some direction cause i have stumped everyone that attempts to help me anyone got any info?

What did you do with the crank sensor? Don't the 98-99 24V have a crank sensor?

replaced with a complete engine from a 01? did you try the 99 ecm back on the engine? does it shift? cummins computer isent as finikey as the dodge computers. because of the years difference in the engine to body ther ecould be address issues with the cummins ecm to the other computers.

Last edited:
tried everything thats cheap new map sensor tried rumming the 99 ecm which made it rev like it should but would not idle normal and stalled everytime i put it into drive the 01 had no crank sensor and it not showing a check engine light or any codes

tried everything thats cheap new map sensor tried rumming the 99 ecm which made it rev like it should but would not idle normal and stalled everytime i put it into drive the 01 had no crank sensor and it not showing a check engine light or any codes

You need a crank sensor.....no way around it unless you change electronics. I ran into the same issue when my 53 block cracked in my 99. I had to machine a hole in the 12valve block I used, and switch the crank over to a 24valve unit with a tone ring. About a year later the crank sensor went bad, and it caused all sorts of issues...wouldnt charge, transmission wouldnt shift and if I remember correctly the guages would not work.

X2 i was lucky enough to find a good year 2000 motor to put in my 99 it has the crank sencor in it, everything pluged in worked perfect. im pretty sure the 01 blocks have a hole for the sencor its just pluged off. you can get one from about anywhere..