a/c fan only runs on high speed

lews930

NOT A DIESEL PRO
I only found 1 thread on this and it didn't answer my question.

99 diesel ext cab 4x4. Fan only blows air when on high speed?

Any ideas?

Thank you

blower motor resistor next to the fan. It controls lower fan speeds.

I believe Napa has them now also. It is a small rectangular piece held up into the box by two Philips screws and a wire harness plugged into it right next to the blower motor.

Yes you can get it at napa. Csnyder is right you will need a stubby Philips to change it. It can be a pain but is not that bad. Don't round out the screws!!!

On a related note, can the evaporator be changed out without pulling the dash?

Any. Tips on dash removal if I have to go that route?

As always, thank you in advance

No the evaporator swapp will include taking the dash out. You can how ever take the dash down n only take the passenger side backward n change it. It's just as easy with a buddy to take the dash all the way out. Take your time n be careful!!! You should be able to find all the plugs fairly easy. But take your column lose n set the steering wheel n the floorboard or on the drivers seat(just however low it will go). Then in the center of the truck on the hump n the floor board you will have to take the plastic piece off and there is a beaker n some bolts there. Then take the five screws out of the dash up by the windshield. I think they are 10mm. Then on each side of the truck, lay your head down n the floor board n look up towards the out side of the truck by the door. You will see a bracket with something like a 15mm bolt. Same on each side. Loosen then bolts n the dash should rotate down onto the seat. Do this slowly to be sure you got everything unplugged. (Alot easier with two people). After you are sure everything is unplugged lift the dash on each side off the bolts and take it out. We always take it out the passenger side of the truck. If you have never do it before its not hard just time consuming. Take your time and you will be fine. A experienced mechanic with a guy like me can have the dash out n a hour or so. After you get the dash out you need to take the whole a/c and heater box out. While in there I would do a heater core also. Take the box apart put new stuff n and put back together making sure you put the foam and line all the doors back up. There is nothing really difficult about doing it. It just a major pita!!