A Horrible Reminder Why We Need Drive line Saftey

Looked like the driveshaft hoop (a safety item) was slung off the driveshaft!

Looked like the driveshaft hoop (a safety item) was slung off the driveshaft!

yea it sounds like that is what it was. Didn't do it's job and was launched into the upper level.. I was there saturday and surprised to see the place sold out. They had a moment of silence at the beginning of the show. No one broke Saturday when I was there. But I guess on Sunday almost all broke and they just stopped. Didn't keep going like normal during freestyle. They were definitely lighter on the throttle the first couple races too on saturday.

Wow glad to see i started a good conversation on saftey.

Couple thoughts on my side...

I'm pretty sure that the truck had all the saftey items in place. And I'm pretty sure Monster jam teched and did all they could do. Stuff happens. You can take all the precautions in the world but you cant take out the "dumb luck" factor. there is no 100% way to protect everyone... Unless you never start the truck.

I just wanted to put this up here as a this can and has and will happen. Dont tempt it by skimping on saftey items.... Its not worth it. trust me even though it sucks you will feel ALOT better missing a pull or not being allowed to pull because of missing or improper saftey items the youwill if you do pull and kill someone.

Wow glad to see i started a good conversation on saftey.

Couple thoughts on my side...

I'm pretty sure that the truck had all the saftey items in place. And I'm pretty sure Monster jam teched and did all they could do. Stuff happens. You can take all the precautions in the world but you cant take out the "dumb luck" factor. there is no 100% way to protect everyone... Unless you never start the truck.
I just wanted to put this up here as a this can and has and will happen. Dont tempt it by skimping on saftey items.... Its not worth it. trust me even though it sucks you will feel ALOT better missing a pull or not being allowed to pull because of missing or improper saftey items the youwill if you do pull and kill someone.

but what fun is that :bang

I saw it on the news and it reminded of going to that stuff when I was a kid I would have never ever thought that could happen. I hope his family pulls thru the tough times and may god be with them in their time of need

When I see your new Master Chief donning coveralls so he can roll under my truck to check it out, I'll believe you!

But the point is, tech is very lax at 90+% of the pulls you go to. I would think that most of the trucks I run with are up to par....but it's that 20% that could damage the future of the sport. As the accidents increase or get more severe, the insurance companies will have to get more involved, and that's never a good thing.

Your gonna hate me then. Heck, curiosity more than anything else will get me under there. And Gene and them know I don't give one **** about getting dirty. In fact I'm more happy when I am. Its about safety. That's why NADM techs are getting certified by SFI. No questions about it now, its for real.

Your gonna hate me then. Heck, curiosity more than anything else will get me under there. And Gene and them know I don't give one **** about getting dirty. In fact I'm more happy when I am. Its about safety. That's why NADM techs are getting certified by SFI. No questions about it now, its for real.

:clap: That's good to hear. Keeping it safe with minimal issues will further help streamline diesel motorsports.....And if all the NADM tech's are getting certified that means better safety and less sand bagging. :rockwoot:

I'm not going to hate you, crawl around as much as you want, given:

a) everyone gets equal treatment
b) tech keeps everything they see confidential if the truck is legal

It was real last year, too, Travis, you weren't a tech, you were a crew member on a pulling team, remember?

It will be fair Matt, always has been, if I'm around.

I expect you guys to back us up, when the non compliant whiners are crying on the net that they weren't allowed to pull because their safety equipment was not up to spec.

One thing that really always drives me crazy at a truck pull is the guys that dont have their exhaust pointed upwards! Their in the factory location and are usualy pointed toward the crowd, and 90% of the time they dont have the bolts threw the exhaust to catch the scattered turbo! I would say this is proably one of the most dangerouse overlooked things in are sport!

Back