AAM 11.5 Rebuild

pratherjoe

I am about to tear into one and thought I might see what tips or advice I might get. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiral gears r worn out.. But it has 244k on it so can't complain

A few specialty tools may be needed. I believe a case spreader is one of them. What are you putting in it's place? Changing the gear ratio?

I think it has adjustable side tensioners, so I don't think I need the housing spreader

I think the only specialty tools needed would be a good dial indicator for backlash and endplay settings and some gear paint. Also all of the torque specs with a good torque wrench would be useful.

You'll need an in/lb old school torque wrench to measure the pinion preload. The pinion nut is 470 ft/lbs on the danas so a nice big cheater bar and something to hold it in place would be good. Dummy bearings or weld your bad bearings when you take them off to shim it properly.

The biggest thing is take your time and make sure everything is right before you press the bearings on for the final time. I added .007 to each side after the dummy bearings to make it nice and tight. All of my experience is with dana axles though so the AAM may be different.

Back