AAM Rear End Issues

johnhultman

I have an 04.5 2500 I've owned since new. I've serviced it regularly, and like to think I take care of it pretty well. It t has been used for work commuting and weekend gooseneck pulling. At 110k miles the 10.5 developed a nasty whine under load I figured was the pinion bearing. I was planning on rebuilding it until I found a box, hub spacers and rear end off a dually. So to heck with the 10.5....I moved on to the 11.5 dually!!

The rear end only had 40k on it, and I've only put 10k on it over the past year. I'll be an SOB if this rear end is not whining now!! Same trailer, same load!! What am I doing wrong? Have noticed traffic on the net about people with the same issues, but no real cause or solution other than throwing parts at it.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Might be worth getting some marking compound and checking the pattern. If you can, check back lash while in there. You can do all that with it on stands and the rear cover removed. My 03 did some weird crap until I rebuilt it, but no gear noise.

Bearings and carrier, the stock posi unit took a serious dump, fixed that with a locker.

Did you check the carrier bearing? Or u joint? Could check the backlash on the pinion and that would also tell you.

Aww crap, I just saw where you swapped from the 10.5 to the 11.5 housing. My truck is a 3500 with the 11.5 SRW unit. I would look real hard at it with a load on, with the suspension compressed you could be forcing the driveshaft into the pinion. The housings are not the same size IIRC.

I thought of a carrier bearing, so I changed that...nothing. Have not measured the back lash, but hardly any notable slop holding the ring gear with the cover off ant turning the pinion. I never checked driveline length fully loaded, but the slip yoke at the carrier seemed to have adequate room.

Not doubting that I screwed the pinion bearing. My issue is that I've done this twice. Once single wheel--factory built, and one with heavier rear end. The loaded gooseneck is right around 14k, and I don't sit the load so I squat the truck too much. There is a bumpy stretch of uphill interstate that feels like it causes the wheels to hop off the ground when climbing it, but there are people who frequent this more that I do for sure.

I appreciate all the insight to this point and invite other thoughts........

Back