???? about putting a 12v in a 97 chevy

hyper14h

red around the neck
i am getting ready to put a 12v cummins in a 97 chevy 4x4 that was a 6.5 torbo diesel and i was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if u have is there pointers to be given or anything i should know about going in to this

Talk to the people at autoworld, they are very knowledgeable. They also can help with any of the parts for the conversion. I ordered my motor mounts from them as well as their tach ring kit (to allow for my factory tach to work) and all I can say is wow! They parts are top notch bar none.

You dont need to order any parts to make the 6.5 Tach work.

Autoworld will sell you a new pulley for the alt that does nothing though.

Go to tdr or even 4btswaps.com and look around. That conversion has been done a bunch of times by a bunch of different people ( myself included) and there are tons of photos etc.. available if you look around.

You might want to do a little searching about Autoworld as well before you give them any money.jmo

I didn't order mine for a 6.5, I was just using my situation (5.9 into a superduty) for a reference. That is why I bought the tach ring. As for parts, I was talking about motormounts and things of that sort. I bought my adapter plate (destroked) through them and got it $50 cheaper than going through destroked.

when u converted ur 6.5 did u use the dodge pcm or the chevy ?? and i dont no how it happend but i got my posting posted twice and on my other posting a guy said i had 2 run a body lift and cut my drive shafts is this true i hope not cuz im planing on pulling with this truck and i want as many week links out of it as posible and thats just puting more in.

If you keep the IFS youll need at least 1 1/2" body lift.

No PCM at all.

The transmission and t-case will need to be moved back. Then youll need new shafts.

if you dont use a pcm how did u get ur gages and everything to work ??

I think you will have to use the gm ecm to make the speedo work you will need a stand alone controller if you are using the 4l80e .
We are doing 2 94 suburban swaps we will use the autoworld double mounts, the dodge rad & intercooler , special mounts to let us run the gm alt and dodge ac compressor & a 47rh trans. We chose 94 cause it was the only year you could get the diesel with that body style and the old dash ,which Dakota digital makes a digital dash for and cruise.:rockwoot: Rich

My 93 IFS 4x4 has no body lift, and the factory pcm makes all my guages/C-controll work. I did not do the conversion, this was how it was when I purchased it...

you have to get the really tiny pulley from autoworld it will read correct rpm's then. use a chrysler trans but use the GM transfer case with the stock speed sensor so speedo works and unplug the center connecter on the ECM and everything will work perfect.

Have any of you bought/sold a GM conversion lately? I may be forced to sell my 93 and I'm just wondering if it's worth selling or should I just leave it out back if I'm gonna take a huge hit on it...???

keep it, you are never gonna make back what you put into it or bought it for.

i put a cummins in my 94 chevy. i didnt have to move any cross members or adjust any drive shafts. i already had the 6 in suspension lift on so i didnt have to really worry about the oil pan clearance but still had to use a body lift to clear the intake tube from the turbo since i dont have an intercooler in it at the moment. i got all factory guages to work just by getting a couple brass fittings to adapt the coolant and oil pressure guages to the motor and since i used the factory 5spd the transfer case and speedo wasnt a problem either.