?' about timing my truck.

farmboy3510

I have my pump ready to go back on the truck but have a question on how everyone is doing the timing. The cover says that the pump is set at 14 deg. When I took it off of the other motor I put the motor on TDC and removed it. I was told to run the pump at 18-20 deg for driving it and 24-26 deg while sled pulling it. I was told when timing it to put tape on the crank pully and move it off of the pointer 4 or deg wich will give me 18-19 deg of timing. Is this correct or not. My next question is I was also told that I should just scribe a line at 18 deg and at 25 deg and just bump it back and forth. What do I bump back and forth. The pump is not slotted and I didn't get told about taking the cover off every time go to time it. The people told me that it should only take 10 min to change the timing? I hope they are right but I am missing something. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.:thankyou2:

If you get an adjustable pump gear, it will take you about 10 minutes. It takes me about 40 doing it with a dial indicator. Sounds like they are just talking about pinning the pump and moving the crank. There is a 24mm nut at the front of the governor housing. Take that out (there is about a litre of oil thats gonna come out too) and the plastic pin. There is a little arm that spins inside of the housing. Get the arm dead center in the hole, and turn the plastic pin around and it will lock the pump at that position. That will be whatever the last pump shop set it at. Probably around 13 degrees if stock. With the pump locked, you can rotate the crank to the advance you want with the timing tape. You will have to loosen the gear off the shaft to move the crank independent of the pump. Theres a little more to it than what I wrote, but thats the jist of it.

Is your balancer marked for TDC now? Was a pointer installed when it was ppumped? Normally a 24V doesn't have a marked balancer or a pointer... so you must find TDC using the drop valve method or using some ingenuity and a dial indicator thru the injector hole to find it. Then install some sort of pointer and mark the balancer or install the correct timing tape with your diameter of balancer...

If you pin the pump which way would you want to turn the crank to go from say stock(~13*) to 19-20*?

This is what you need to be able to time it in 15-20 minutes.

Attachments

• DSC00642.JPG
    DSC00642.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 69