About to pull the trigger on swap.

RGHodges

Ok guys, I have been rounding up parts for my pump swap. Plan on starting it in a couple weeks, but I have a few questions before I dive in. My truck will be used mainly as a daily driver, and I am doing the swap mainly for reliability issues. Fuel mileage will also be an important factor. About the only thing I haven't purchased yet is injector lines. I haven't decided between .73's or .84's yet. Will this have any impact on fuel mileage? Also will it be better to run no plate and control fueling via the AFC, or run a certain plate to be at peak efficiency? I have also pretty much decided to set timing at 18 degrees as this seems to be the best for fuel mileage. Is there anything I have overlooked? Will I be better off setting timing a little higher than this? Thanks in advance. :Cheer:

Also, current setup is edge comp and 7x10s and on hwy I get around 20-22 mpg driving speed limit with comp on 1. I plan on running 4kgsk and mack plug on pump and that is probably all. If I can stay at where I am now and around same power level I will be happy.

IMO 18* is REAL low for a 24-P. Most guys are 21-26*. I run 24*. The timing will be affected by the size of the lines/tubes/DVs/DV holders/injector pops/ect. A plate will help limit total fuel output, but your light right foot and a well tuned AFC will yield the best results.

18 deg is a good spot for a daily driver at modest power level. Don't have to listen to that annoying breaking glass sound, easier on components too. With 7 x .010's and small twins I was able to make around 500hp cleanly with 20-21mpg on the hwy and 19 in town.

Why make the change if you are happy with your current? Doesn't sound like you wanna make more power. If you are having problems with VPs I dont think just switching a pump will be magic fix if there is an underlying issue.

Last edited:
To be honest, I haven't had the first problem out of my VP, knock on wood. However, I do want ultimate reliability from the truck, as it is my daily driver and getting away from electronics in trade for a mechanical pump can't hurt in that department. Also I do occasionally sled pull and the extra rmp's would be a plus. I figure I can sell most of my vp parts too and cover a lot of the cost of the swap. Also there is always the "cool" factor of having a ppump 24v :rockwoot:. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Back