AC compressor/clutch question

r_marczak_83

The ac just quit while driving the other day. It only blows outside air. The compressor will not come on. The front of the clutch spins freely.

Could I replace the clutch or does it have shims that I could remove (my 99 powerstroke had them and I removed one to make it work again).

First check for power! Then check your pressure a leaking line will do that too! Not sure if these have shims? You would have to take it apart to check. But check for power first!
You can replace just the clutch assy. they are available on Ebay.
Be sure the compressor turns if it seized your lucky the belt didn't burn thru.
I think the complete kit with Comp,dryer and filter line is like 260. on Ebay.
My guess is you lost Freon and that's why it quit!

Last edited:
Check and verify there is freon in the system. If not that's the issue. If it is full, unplug compressor clutch and put power directly to magnet and verify that is working. If all that is ok you can check the high and low pressure switches by simply unplugging them and putting a paper clip in the plug to bypass the switch itself. More then likely loss of freon or clutch magnet sh** the bed.

First check for power! Then check your pressure a leaking line will do that too! Not sure if these have shims? You would have to take it apart to check. But check for power first!
You can replace just the clutch assy. they are available on Ebay.
Be sure the compressor turns if it seized your lucky the belt didn't burn thru.
I think the complete kit with Comp,dryer and filter line is like 260. on Ebay.
My guess is you lost Freon and that's why it quit!

Is there an easy place to check the power? Under the truck I pulled a connector by the compressor that had 2 conductors, but it looked like it tee'd off after this connection.

Check the harness side connector with a DVOM across the connectors. If no voltage, check each of the two to a known ground. If still no power, pursue the switches and the fuse that supplies them with power.

Sent from my Not So Smartphone

Is the bolt still in the center of the clutch? Mine did the same thing only to find that I had sheered the bolt.....It rode in place for a few days before falling off.

Is there a switch on the accumulaterror on 3rd gen? If so unplug and jump those wires.. if it kicks the compressor on theres your prob.

Back