ac compressor questions

dennhop

Ok, so here's what I got.

The AC on the 96 hasn't worked since I got it, primarily since the wiring was all jacked up. I went ahead and hotwired the compressor straight off the battery.

I ran a relay off the battery to the compressor, and ran a toggle to the relay, off of a fused power source, so if for some reason I forgot to shut the switch off it would at least shut off with the truck.

Now, here's where I have a problem. When I tested it, I applied power to the wires, and I heard it click, so I immediately shut power off. But, when I turn the truck on, and then turn the switch to the compressor on, I hear it click, but it's not kicking on. No noticeable drop in RPM, and no cold air. would the high and low pressure sensors have anything to do with this? I figured straight hotwired, would work. What else should I look at? Wiring it in properly is not really possible, due to the cab swap, and dash swap, since the dash has the hvac controls off a newer truck, and it took some ghetto rigging already just to make the temperature adjustment work.

Sounds like you have a bad clutch. If you apply power to the clutch, it should kick on regardless of the pressures in the system.

Back