Ac condenser question

FIRST GEN. JAKE

Might be a dumb question but has anyone ever mounted the Ac condenser behind the intercooler? Looks to be plenty of room. Maybe ale some brackets to bolt where transcooler is mounted. Only problem I see is the hardliners but might be able to bend them enough to make it work. Would keep it out of the way from getting beat up in front of the ic plus look better imo so it doesn't hide my aftermarket intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will also have a decent negative affect on the performance of your A/C. You want it up front to get the coolest air it can get.

Yea I thought about that. But I know some other trucks don't have the ac condenser in the very front. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference

I would be willing to bet it will be the difference between a nice cooling system and one that is struggling on a hot day.

Right now it doesn't work anyways lol got to fix it again. But I honestly don't see that it would make that big of a difference. I mean your pulling air through ac condenser, intercooler Trans cooler etc before the radiator and with a proper working fan it still keeps engine temps cool so I don't see moving condenser just behind intercooler making that drastic of a change. Guess it would depend how hear soaked the air is after it travels through the intercooler.

Right now it doesn't work anyways lol got to fix it again. But I honestly don't see that it would make that big of a difference. I mean your pulling air through ac condenser, intercooler Trans cooler etc before the radiator and with a proper working fan it still keeps engine temps cool so I don't see moving condenser just behind intercooler making that drastic of a change. Guess it would depend how hear soaked the air is after it travels through the intercooler.

Sounds like your mind is made up. Let us know how it goes.

Remember though, a cooling system is only trying to keep coolant cool. An a/c system is changing a gas to a liquid and then back again.

Put in the front for a reason! In traffic on a hot day you'l blow the over pressure on the compressor. Not enough heat exchange will keep the heat in the freon and system won't work.

Lavon had a truck in his shop when I was up there several months ago that had it done. It looked nice but Lyn said it was a pita to do. It was a red crew cab that had a few windows in the block, they might have a few pics of it on their fb page if you want to see who the owner is. Maybe he can give you some insight.

Thanks for info okie. I might try it might not. I know the 6.4 powerstroke have intercooler mounted in front of everything else. Not sure how much room is between them thogh

FWIW, when I installed the Powerstroke intercooler into my '90, I put the A/C condenser behind it. My A/C seems to get plenty cold enough for me. Even on warmer days. Just giving my experience even though it's in a 1st gen.

I got to looking at mine today and I don't think there's enough room anyways due to the cross member the intercooler sits on. I got to pull intercooler out soon anyways so il see what it looks like then

Back