AC condensor

sstockton

Just curious, does anyone have experience replacing an AC condensor on one of these trucks? I was quoted $1300 to have mine replaced so I decided that with the part being $150 I would be able to buy a lot of specialty tools for the remaining $1150. I already have an AC line tool, and It appears that thats all I'll need. It just be nice if someone could offer a little advice or warn me of particular pit falls I may encounter.
Thanks,
Sean

i just did mine about two weeks ago, my old one was all beat up. A friend of mine that does a/c work said you are supposed to also replace the dryer when you open up the system to the atmosphere. the swap out took less than an hour and vac'ed the system down and added the recommended amount of r-134 a and she's good to go! hope this helps.

A few years ago I put my bumper thru the condenser in a small accident, I didn't have the money for the new condenser at the time so I had no AC for 11 months. the system was drained and empty.

When I finally got the money, all i did was swap out the condenser, then bought a set of gauges and 2-3 cans of R-134a and ever since then I have had ICE cold air. Its so cold that on a muggy/humid summer morning if I have the AC on and the window open also, you can see the cold air steaming out of the vents from the humidity!

Find a mechanic with a vac pump who is willing to make a few extra $$$ on the side. Swapping out the condenser is easy as chit, but have someone vac the system down for you if you don't have a vaccum pump. Other than that charging the system and adding oil to it is childs play.