Additional Insight on BBi Injectors

BrianAtSmarty

SmartyResource
Here is some additional insight on BBi Injectors for you.

Competition? We don't think so.

BBi injectors ARE different, yes very different. Lets start with the nozzles. Not all nozzles are the same. As a matter of fact, VERY FEW nozzles are the same !

  Injector nozzles are NOT created equal. We have yet to see another nozzle that comes even close to meeting our quality control standards. BBi injector nozzle holes are manufactured (eroded) with an EDM process. There, the similarities between us and our counter parts cease to exist. Once edm'd our nozzles are then hydro erosive rounded. This process is used to radius and deburr the bore hole intersections on the inside of the nozzle body. This technique is employed until the flow of each individual hole is hydro erosive rounded to the exact nominal flow value. This process employs a polishing fluid with characteristics very comparable to diesel fuel, yet the fluid viscosity is much more stable from temperature change. Flow values remain virtually UNCHANGED once the injector is actually flowing diesel fuel. Yes all of our flow rates are measured with fluid, fluid with the SAME viscosity as diesel fuel. NOT with air. IS there really test equipment that uses a different media (air) for flow testing ? We measure two flow values (with and without back pressure to get cavitating and non cavitating fluid flow). So with these values we get information about the µ-value of the nozzle holes which indicates the manufacturing quality of the holes. All of the after market modified nozzles we have seen and measured have inconsistent hole sizes, shapes and have detrimentally altered spray angles. We've measured spray angle alterations varying up to 6 degrees, between holes on a single nozzle. We've observed a 5 hole nozzle with 1 near perfect hole (it was oem), as it was obviously missed or forgotten. The other 4 holes were enlarged, no longer round, not even close to consistent, with spray angles altered from factory values. Our spray angles are exactly as designed, pertinent to the piston crown it was designed for. Our angles do NOT deviate 1%. We find that 1 % is an unacceptable value. If we ever found one of our own, THAT FAR OFF, the only way it would leave our laboratory would be in the garbage can. Good news is, our manufacturing techniques are so precise, we don't anticipate that a mistake that large could ever occur. Yet we will continue to check, measure, test, then repeat, to insure our quality is second to none. We would not build injectors if the best product we could bring to the market, was not NEAR PERFECT. We would not put our name on, nor risk our reputation, releasing anything less than the best.

Well so your all that and a bag of chips, but when I ask you a technical question pertaining to 03/04 injectors,before I drop four large at your last greatest imposed deadline for the super duper rebate you brush off a customer. My question is , still what the heck do you do with a nozzle that has eight holes? Do you enlarged all eight or only five like everyone else and don' t give a damn about balance and profess that your the man. Hey pal we take our mods seriously and don't bring Marco the man into the mix. If I want stage one what is the geometry end of question or I don't buy......get it!

Here is some additional insight on BBi Injectors for you.

Competition? We don't think so.

BBi injectors ARE different, yes very different. Lets start with the nozzles. Not all nozzles are the same. As a matter of fact, VERY FEW nozzles are the same !

  Injector nozzles are NOT created equal. We have yet to see another nozzle that comes even close to meeting our quality control standards. BBi injector nozzle holes are manufactured (eroded) with an EDM process. There, the similarities between us and our counter parts cease to exist. Once edm'd our nozzles are then hydro erosive rounded. This process is used to radius and deburr the bore hole intersections on the inside of the nozzle body. This technique is employed until the flow of each individual hole is hydro erosive rounded to the exact nominal flow value. This process employs a polishing fluid with characteristics very comparable to diesel fuel, yet the fluid viscosity is much more stable from temperature change. Flow values remain virtually UNCHANGED once the injector is actually flowing diesel fuel. Yes all of our flow rates are measured with fluid, fluid with the SAME viscosity as diesel fuel. NOT with air. IS there really test equipment that uses a different media (air) for flow testing ? We measure two flow values (with and without back pressure to get cavitating and non cavitating fluid flow). So with these values we get information about the µ-value of the nozzle holes which indicates the manufacturing quality of the holes. All of the after market modified nozzles we have seen and measured have inconsistent hole sizes, shapes and have detrimentally altered spray angles. We've measured spray angle alterations varying up to 6 degrees, between holes on a single nozzle. We've observed a 5 hole nozzle with 1 near perfect hole (it was oem), as it was obviously missed or forgotten. The other 4 holes were enlarged, no longer round, not even close to consistent, with spray angles altered from factory values. Our spray angles are exactly as designed, pertinent to the piston crown it was designed for. Our angles do NOT deviate 1%. We find that 1 % is an unacceptable value. If we ever found one of our own, THAT FAR OFF, the only way it would leave our laboratory would be in the garbage can. Good news is, our manufacturing techniques are so precise, we don't anticipate that a mistake that large could ever occur. Yet we will continue to check, measure, test, then repeat, to insure our quality is second to none. We would not build injectors if the best product we could bring to the market, was not NEAR PERFECT. We would not put our name on, nor risk our reputation, releasing anything less than the best.

Another thread.. On how great these injectors are lol....

Well so your all that and a bag of chips, but when I ask you a technical question pertaining to 03/04 injectors,before I drop four large at your last greatest imposed deadline for the super duper rebate you brush off a customer. My question is , still what the heck do you do with a nozzle that has eight holes? Do you enlarged all eight or only five like everyone else and don' t give a damn about balance and profess that your the man. Hey pal we take our mods seriously and don't bring Marco the man into the mix. If I want stage one what is the geometry end of question or I don't buy......get it!

I’m sorry if I have missed answering a question you have previously asked. I’m not aware of doing so. I would never intentionally blow someone off. I am relatively new at being a representative for this company and I don’t have all the answers. I will certainly do what I can to be able to answer whatever you ask. If I don't have the answer I will contact those that DO have the knowledge so I can provide info that is accurate for you. I’ll try to be prompt, but keep in mind when I contact others in the know that we have a several hour time difference.
If you would please clarify your question I will be happy to answer or contact someone who can answer in your regards.
Thank you!

Brian
SmartyResource

Boring...

JLMachineJunk.jpg

I would expect a “comparison” to have the competitors nozzles pictured, as well as, pictures of yours. That way we could see how much better BBI’s are or are not.

Indeed they are a major brand. And yes, several hundred sets were sold, and, like you, I too would love to know how many engines were ruined with that brand. I know many have had quality issues with them, and we are talking members right here on this forum. A set of "those" injectors out of a "ruined" engine were just examined and were proven to be the cause of the engine's demise. Sucks! An expensive mistake. One would like to get some quality for their dollars. Not garbage!

You guys need to take it easy on Brian. I'm sure he's doing the best he can. What's with all the hate? He hasn't done anything wrong that I've seen. Y'all are jumping his ass for no good reason. Please don't run him off. Those of us with Smartys would like to keep him around.

You say these are a major brand, well I'm betting they've sold SEVERAL hundred sets, so with that said I'd be very curious to know how many of these major brand injectors have ruined "good engines".

Talking about a couple of the major brand injectors which have been ruining engines, I think you all will find these pictures valuable. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll let these pictures do the talking for me. Click on the pictures on the side and enlarge so you can see what kind of value and quality these guys are selling people. Pretty embarrasing for brand x and brand y and pretty sad for their customers who have lost engines.

http://sourceautomotive.biz/images/BBI Injectors/Brand_y_brokenpiston.pptx

http://sourceautomotive.biz/images/BBI Injectors/Brand_X_1.pptx

Last edited:
I know you all think these are sooo much money and all but what is your engine and the performance worth too you? I am a diesel tech and see failures in engines due to injector problems all the time, broken tips, plugged holes, leaking injectors causing hot spots and melt downs, you name it... the preciseness of these BBi's is unmatched and I wouldn’t want to risk my engine down the road just to save a couple grand up front. When you think about it, if your building your truck for high hp and tq numbers and putting thousands of $ and time into it wouldn’t you want everything to hold together and be as best built as possible... I have the stage 1's and I love the hell out of them, they run so smooth and quiet it sounds 100% different than any other Cummins common rail I have heard, driven, or road in. I have friends, coworkers, and many other people that I have talked too and delt with that have had all sorts of injectors in there trucks, when they hear my truck fire up they can’t believe how smooth and quiet it really is... They not only run smooth as glass and make amazing numbers but I also gained over 1 mpg after changing to these. (No tune, airdog fuel system, cold air intake and 4" exhaust, 385hp and 725 tq 20mpg), I haven’t yet put it on the dyno with the smarty on them but I am getting ready too. I can’t stress enough how awesome they really are. Worth every penny. I wouldn’t recommend any other injector, nothing comes close.

I know you all think these are sooo much money and all but what is your engine and the performance worth too you? I am a diesel tech and see failures in engines due to injector problems all the time, broken tips, plugged holes, leaking injectors causing hot spots and melt downs, you name it... the preciseness of these BBi's is unmatched and I wouldn’t want to risk my engine down the road just to save a couple grand up front. When you think about it, if your building your truck for high hp and tq numbers and putting thousands of $ and time into it wouldn’t you want everything to hold together and be as best built as possible... I have the stage 1's and I love the hell out of them, they run so smooth and quiet it sounds 100% different than any other Cummins common rail I have heard, driven, or road in. I have friends, coworkers, and many other people that I have talked too and delt with that have had all sorts of injectors in there trucks, when they hear my truck fire up they can’t believe how smooth and quiet it really is... They not only run smooth as glass and make amazing numbers but I also gained over 1 mpg after changing to these. (No tune, airdog fuel system, cold air intake and 4" exhaust, 385hp and 725 tq 20mpg), I haven’t yet put it on the dyno with the smarty on them but I am getting ready too. I can’t stress enough how awesome they really are. Worth every penny. I wouldn’t recommend any other injector, nothing comes close.

please explain all other injectors you have tried *bdh* This seems way to preachy to me, It may work great on other forums but this one has more stubborn folk, so until some more real world results by reputable people are made then its all :blahblah1: Granted they could be great or they could be crap either way I wont by a set.... Because I have a 12v LOL :Cheer:

Back