Advantages on intake manifold upgrade

Bad Moose

Just a pain in the arse
I'm looking at doing an intake manifold upgrade to my 03 6.0l. I hve been looking at the afe and the cfm+ small mouth. What are the advantges and the better one. I am mainly looking for fuel mileage, but power is alays a plus.
Also looking at if I should change my down pipe and reasons for doing so. My truck is a daily driver and toy.

My current mods are
AFE cat back exhaust (cat will be deleted soon):bang
Air Raid filter with stock intake
Edge Evolution

yes change your DP to a 3.5"
ditch the filter and go back to stock filter
get an SCT instead of evo.
if my knowledge serves me correctly, the intake manifold is more of an appearance piece then anything really noticable.

Its not really the manifold, just a cold air box, and I agree with Chase. WHat you have right now is fine. The intakes are not really any better than stock on the 6.0. You want power, mileage, and a smile on your face, SCT is what you want.

yes change your DP to a 3.5"
ditch the filter and go back to stock filter
get an SCT instead of evo.
if my knowledge serves me correctly, the intake manifold is more of an appearance piece then anything really noticable.

agree 100%. I'm running my stock air box with my modified setup.

The only air box that I found increased mpg was the Airaid, but we lost hp on the top end. There was an increase in tq and very slight hp increase in low rpm (where you mpg really comes into play) but the factory filter is extremely good on the 6.0's and I would just keep it. That way you won't have to worry about anything going wrong. The factory tests our trucks in every situation they can think of and design the intakes accordingly.

Ok no on the intake. Where can I find an AFE down pipe and cat delete to finish my exhaust? Just curious SCT is just programming the computers as does the evolution, why doesn't anybody come up with custom tunes for the evolution? And instead of buying gauges can I leave my evo on stck with sct programming in the computer?

The evolution isn't a programmer, it is a module. A module manulipates the inputs the computer sees in order to get the power gains. So, when you change setting on the module, you are just telling different lies to the computer.

A programmer changes the actual programming to make the power. There is why you cannot just flip a switch and get another power setting when you use a programmer. You have to reprogram it.

If the Edge isn't adding any power in stock (some companies do) then you can leave it off and use it for gauges. Just don't get foolish and try to stack because it won't work well in your vehicle and could damage something.

The evolution is a downloader, looks like a nintendo game. And it suspiciously makes the same little beeping noise as an SCT. The programs inside of them are from Superchips.

The Airaid will increase the bottom end power but doesn't add any peak. We put it through a MAF transferfunction tester. The new datapoints proved that the MAF sees more flow in the bottom end and stays stock in the mid to top range.

The flow is the same as stock across the top. MAF voltage remains the same.

*bdh*So evolution can not be custom tuned? and should not be used as as gauge set?

Anyone sell both AFE down pipe ans AFE cat (test) pipe? I can find one or the other at different sponsors but not both at same sponsor.

Yes the Edge could stay in the truck as a guage set, jJust has to be kept at Stock setting

Thanks Bobus its good to know at least I do not have to shell out for new gauges.

So then why do so many people run aftermarket air intakes? Looks? Sound? What? Doug your sig says you are running an AirRaid, is it for the low end torque that you talked about?

On the 7.3's they make a huge difference. Most people don't do before and after dyno's. So, they just assume that the aftermarket intake is better.

The people I have told that still puchased one, wanted it because it was cool. We did see a mpg increase with the airaid. Don't get me wrong, we just lost top end hp with it.

I have one in my truck so I can clean it and toss it back in. For 250 dollars you can just keep on cleaning it instead of replacing the stock one over and over.

Back