Advice on new setup..

Morse

Diesel
Last night I finished my install of a lot of new parts.. I now have twin CP3's, 39 litre injectors, Hellmann Intercooler, Hellmann twins, fluidampr, air dog lift pump, and the smarty. The truck ran low 12's before with just 90hp injectors, 62-14 turbo, the airdog, and the smarty. Well, I drove it last night for a short bit and it seemed really strong on level 2 with no timing. Today, I turned it up to three with timing. It seemed a little more sluggish. I did try to get on it after driving it for a while and the truck pulled very hard. I was only in it for a second, because the truck sounded like it started caughing and sputtering. I let out of it immediately and drove back to the shop. Before that, the truck also wanted to keep reving at times when I let off the throttle just driving around town and forced me to get on the brakes pretty hard to get it to stop.. Before this, I've been very conservative with my setups on my 3rd gens and had good results. These symptoms are all new to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm tempted to install the 90hp injectors since I know the smarty likes them..

The controller for the dual cp3's sound like a possible culprit to me or you have a injector issue. Reving high like that means it's still getting fuel when you let off. The doggy behavior could be a lot of things like twin tuning, injectors, too much fuel down low. The coughing and spuddering can be many things too like not enough fuel from the lift pump, injectors, too much timing, blown headgasket, etc. I would try to run the non timing levels on the smarty first and see if it still pops. Also check your lift pump pressure under WOT.

In level 2 without added timing, it seems to run very well.. It's doggy until it lights, but when it does it's easily faster than it used to be turned all the way up.. I spoke to Bob a little while ago, and he said the beta program I'm running is pretty radical.. He advised to download a normal program that wasn't as aggresive so it would work better with the large injectors..

Last edited:
All the trucks that I have done with large sticks (53cc and up) and have the Smarty run away. PPE works great with any size injector...$.02