afc housing bolts??

kasey200

i know there is supposed to be one break off bolt on the afc housing in the corner but i have a different situation. two of the housing bolts and the star wheel cover have keyed heads on them. they look like a torx but they have point in the middle. has anybody seen this. i'm trying to get it apart and am at a stand still!!!:doh::doh:

Locking pliers and lock on to that little guy and twist it free. Worked for me for 2 of the tamper proof bolts

Not bone stock I'm gonna bet...

And the plug for the starwheel has one too?

They sound like tamper proof torx screws. They make drivers for them. If you weren't so far away I'd let you use my drivers...

They make a torx for that that has a hole in the middle, its the same as alot of maf sensors on the newer trucks

i got a set of the security torx bits you guys are talking about but the bolts were SOOO tight there was no budging them. i used an impact and it actually twisted the new torx. I ended up drilling the heads and removing the rest of the threads with a needle nose vicegrip. thanks guys!

Not only has someone been in there but they were damned to let anyone else in there.

sounds like a reman though. I can't imagine a rodder would go to that trouble to put it back together with specialty fasteners.

And next time, Take a ball peen and tap the heads of the fasteners with the driver stuck in them.. works wonders sometimes

Here's a pic of one of the bolts. I know you guys know what i was talking about but i've been trying to get a pic on here since last night when i started the thread so here it is!

Attachments

Get ya an impact screwdriver from harbor freight or somewhere. Put your bit in the driver and hit the other end with a hammer and it will ratchet it loose for ya.

That's the first I've heard of that style tamper proof screw on a p pump. That is the same style that they use on some of the VP44 pump covers. I think its a t20 or t25 torx plus.

Hammer and a small chisel works too, hitting it from an angle to unscrew it. Ace Hardware has some nice replacements that are hex head so you can put a hex t-handle to work for you.

M6 x 1.0 pitch, short ones are 16mm and longs are 25mm and you only need 3 bolts, both bottom and back top bolt.

Jim

Back